Excello Mills Made in USA??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excello Mills Made in USA??

I thought Excello mills were made in Ontario, Canada, but I just noticed this 602 on Ebay with what looks like the original machine nameplate.
    Really bad Ebay paint job, but at least it's not Blue Rustoleum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350171503955

Did Excello out-source some of the 602's to the US?? Anyone know anything about "Atlantic Tool Works" in Connecticut?

By the way, notice the very stout shop-built end-cap. Adds to the mystery on my other thread
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Atlantic was a division of excello. They made some stuff like jig borers but I didn't think they made mills there. Now a division of Textron.

Comment

Did you ever solve your problem with your Excello?

Rob

Comment

I found a set of ungraded (non-precision) 7204 (angular contact) bearings. 14 mm x 2 is 3 mm short of the bearing pocket, so I'm going to try to sneak into the shop tonight and make a 3 mm preload spacer to put between the two bearings, and then an end-cap to close-off the bearing pocket. As someone mentioned on the other thread, the preload is set on the Excellos with a pair of jam nuts on the left side of the table.

To complicate matters, I'm installing a Servo Dynamo power feed on the right side, so the bearing cap has to clear the powerfeed head. I might have to bore a circular pocket in the back of the powerfeed itself, which will be amusing since the mill doesn't have an X-axis handwheel
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Cool. IRC you got the mill with no power feed at all?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by spkrman15
            Cool. IRC you got the mill with no power feed at all?
            This mill is a real mystery to me: it's literally brand-new. Someone mounted a Sony Magnescale system on it, but they didn't debug the X- and Y-axis, so i'm going to have to re-mount the x-axis scale for clearance in the back (along the column).

After an extensive cleaning, I found no chips in the mill -- either in the table, saddle, or knee.

The mill had the factory stock powerfeed, but someone took it off, along with the DRO head. By the way Wierd -- these are the beveled hand wheels you mentioned by PM:

As far as I can guess, this machine was bought, and then canibalized for parts for another machine.

Comment

Robert is understating how nice that machine is. I was in on hauling it and it is a beautiful chunk of iron. I am just waiting for the estate sale.

Comment

Thanks (again) for the rigging services Mike

We need to get together with Roy and post the pictures from the big Colchester/Millrite/Excello move

Comment

Ah yes,those are the funky tapered dials.I did find the long axis screw,it's ruined,leaky roof in that shed.Same findings here the left end controls everything.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                  X