No announcement yet.

The circle LED mill spindle light -- update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to concur with Evan on this one. I've looked at a lot of various lights people have built with the T1-3/4 (5mm) LEDs and they are really weak compared to the LEDs that are built for illumination. A single 1 watt LED is painful to look at (the newer ones come with warnings to not look directly at them) and three of them provide plenty of light for milling. Further, there is a ton of optics: lenses, diffusers, reflectors etc available that are designed explicitly for those LEDs.

The 5mm LEDs are fine if you need a fairly low-level, diffused light, but I wouldn't use them for machine work.

ps, for more "fun with LEDs" check out the guys on the www.candlepowerforums.com Custom & Modified forum. There are some lunatics building 500W portable LED lights :-)

Originally posted by Evan
    I have some data on that but am off to town right now. Will answer later. Main point: Lights made up of regular 5mm LEDs are not the answer. High power emitters are.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
      And I agree on the halogens, tried a couple versions of them and after burning fingers a couple times when reaching to adjust, they were discarded.
      I have the 100W Halogen machinery lights that Enco/MSC have on sale every month. They're Made in USA (I can't remember the name). They have an IP60'ish head, with a thick rubber grommet around the perimeter. You can reach up and move it around without getting burned. Very bright -- highly recommended.

As far as hot, this is Texas. We have no problem with hot
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Ok, back for a while.

This is a bulb that I bought from DX to use as a reading light. It fits any standard MR16 base 12vdc lamp including track lights and reading lights. It's a 3 watt single emitter LED flood light with a perfectly even 60 degree beam spread. Absolutely no hot spots or holes. I have had it since last summer and generally leave it on 24/7. It shows no sign of dimming. Construction is top quality with a solid aluminum heat sink body.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3264

I took my reading light down to the shop and placed the lamp about where I would want a work light. I took two pictures with my Nikon on manual so it used the same settings for each image. The only adjustment I made to the images was to resize them for web. The pictures were taken with all my shop lights on and I have bright shop lighting.

Without LED

With LED

This is why I am recommending a minimum of three watts, either 3 one watt emitters or a single 3 watt.

Can I substitute a 6 volt gel cell for the 4 1.5 AA's ?
        No, not without some sort of current limiter such as an appropriate resistor.
        Last edited by Evan; 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan,
          Colour me confused? although that's not hard to do at times.

Looked at the DX link but you say
          "This is a bulb that I bought from DX to use as a reading light. It fits any standard MR16 base 12vdc lamp including track lights and reading lights."

So two questions, is it a complete lamp or a bulb ?
          Reading the feedback about size it looks to be a complete lamp

and the advert says 12 AC or DC so will this run off the machines 12v AC lo-volt rail or require a balanced circuit ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The pictures above show the lighting from the linked MR16 LED bulb. Not a lamp but can be installed in any lamp that suits that bulb. It is designed for a well regulated 12 vdc so if you can provide that it will work. I wouldn't try running it on straight 12 volt ac as the flicker would be horrendous, especially on 50 hz. Any well regulated 12 volt supply such as a computer power supply will run it just fine. 3 watts is nothing, about the same draw as a night light.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ahha

Got it, just spotted the pins, at first glance it looked as if the bulb assembly was the lamp.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
              X