Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shed,

Verstehung = understanding.

The translation is ok but not great. Most machine translations can't cope with slang and have a hard time with inverted word order. "Was ist heir los?" really means "what's up here?" or "What's going on?"

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-12-2003).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

German right?
      Does anyone actually read siglines?

Comment

Yeah, German. What about the second phrase?

Comment

It wouldn't translate
          Does anyone actually read siglines?

Comment

Like Kennedy said"Hitchpin I'n Belinda"
            Don't forget to pak da ca and lets go pady!
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Doc
              Yeah...!

Comment

Doc,
                Sorry.
                It's in "Dr. Rob"s follow up to your post.
                Dr = Doc.
                My fault for confusing you!
                Ken

[This message has been edited by kenc (edited 08-12-2003).]

Comment

Mأ¥ske i denne omgang=Danish=Perhaps I am this time

Comment

What Kennedy really said was... "I am a (popular) jelly donut"... which greatly confused the W. Berlinrers and seriously trouble the E. Berlinners - "This jelly donut has nukes!!!"...

I guess if you cannot intimidate them, confuse them... or even better.... worry 'em...

-- jr
                    dvideo

Comment

Dvideo,

He did accomplish that. He should have said "Ich bin Berliner", "I am from Berlin/a Berliner". He said "Ich bin ein Berliner", Meaning actually "I am a donut", or, considering his political importance it would be construed in the context of, "I am THE donut". I suppose this may have had the Easterners scrambling to figure out if this meant something like "I am the BIG cheese" or only meant that he needed to execute his translator.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 08-13-2003).]

Comment

Kenc! All right, a fully accurate obsevation that I am generally in agreement with, along with the rest of this thread.

BUT BUT BUT

I meant it. The handle is indeed a lot like four feet long. Maybe it is 3'8", or 4'2". I don't know since it can't be seen from here.

So it is indeed approximately, similar to, or LIKE four feet long.

Sorry.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Comment

Gag me with a fork. 'er is that a spoon. ...whatever.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The press force?
                              A five ton press should be able to exert five tons of force (pressure) (NOT Psi) at the working end. I have measured no arbor presses, but many hydraulic jacks. All most without exception, 40 pounds at the end of the handle develops the pressure required to lift the maximum load. 40 pounds force from a man appears so often in legal restrictions (or used to appear) that i suspect 40 pounds on a arbor press will develop the rated force also. It would be easy to reverse engineer: figure the mechanical advantage by gear ratio and lever arm length, set the ratio to the "rated force" and see what the input would be. Then you have to guess at the engineers "safety factor". I know hydraulic jacks rams have "O" rings that in some cases exceed 10,000 psi when operating at max load. Smaller jacks with big rams are rated at lower pressures. I used to routinely overload the jacks by calculating the load that would be required to reach the pressures I felt they could stand. i never had a jack fail, and i overloaded them by a factor of five or more FOR SMALLER jacks. I have never (knowingly) exceeded 20,000 PSI at the ram. I pucker when i exceed the 10,000 PSI figure (which I consider to be a conservative, safe figure)
                              Steve

Comment

Hmmm... A very simple high capacity scale may be made with a chunk of steel with a hole of 1.129 inches diameter and a similar sized piston with O ring to seal it, oil filled. Then use a standard pressure guage in the side such as used on an oxygen tank up to 2500 psi. It will read weight directly on the guage in pounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X