sharpening end mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening end mills

what do you guys use for sharpening endmills? I ve been lQQking at the one enco has that takes the 5 c collets, and using it on my milling machine with a cup stone.. are they worth pursuing?

I use a grinding shop in Lou. Ky that does an excellent job at a reasonable price.

If your going to sharpen the end the sides are still worn and mostly have a taper. What good is it to sharpen the end when the end and sides do the cutting. You have to have a very good tool grinding machine to do endmills and reamers.

Anything under 1/2" is mostly a throwaway unless you get a package deal because you take in a bunch of endmills.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Bourne Bill
      what do you guys use for sharpening endmills? I ve been lQQking at the one enco has that takes the 5 c collets, and using it on my milling machine with a cup stone.. are they worth pursuing?
      I don't know exactly what you are looking at, or what you have for a mill, but f'wer me I'd shy away from using your or any mill as an improvised cutter and tool grinder.

I don't know what kind of spindle speeds you'll get out of your mill. Most stones for sharpening or grinding are spinning at 3,000+ R.P.M. Your mill might not be able to spin a stone fast enough for a long period of time without risk of overheating the motor and or spindle bearings to get good results.

Not to mention, the spindle bearings in a mill are probably not in the same class as spindle bearings in a "real" cutter and tool grinder.

You will have to keep your endmills cool while sharpening as well, (air blast or flood coolant) or they'll just get burned up.

If for nothing else, the swarf from grinding will wreak havoc with your machines ways. Basically, grinding on your mill equates to sprinkling sand on the ways.

The swarf is what I'd be most concerned with.
      Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Working...
      X