Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headstock belt change on Taiwanese lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock belt change on Taiwanese lathe?

I picked up this Winchester- Shen Wai lathe a few weeks back. I'm in the midst of getting it up and running good. Had to come up with backing plates for the odd spindle thread (2"X8tpi) ; almost have it figured out & will post pictures of what I did later.

It's cutting chips for the backing plate project now. It seems pretty well made for an Asian lathe. However, the spindle drive belt is in bad shape & needs replaced. A google search for this lathe comes up dry, and I'm hoping someone has seen something similar to help point me in the right direction.

It appears to have tapered bearings with a carrier in each end. It looks to me that the two spanner nuts are used to set and lock preload?:

The main back gear on the right is obviously is mounted (keyed?) to the spindle, but I dont see how it stays rigid to the shaft, unless there's a set screw or something under the pulley. There appears to be a collar with a set screw on the left that must hold the pulley/gear assembly in place, and there is a set screw on the pulley that must hold it in place on the backgear drive shaft/gear:

I would be most appreciative for any wisdom the team can offer. I guess I will start by backing off the spanner nuts, & remove the end plates to see how things come apart. (I guess the swarf tray will catch the oil!)

Jeff

How about the adjustable link belts. You can use as many links as it takes to get the right length.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

How about the adjustable link belts. You can use as many links as it takes to get the right length.
      A great belt ,but not for bi-directional rotation applications.

Fred
      Last edited by Pherdie; 03-02-2009, 11:17 PM. Reason: Repair quote

Comment

Such as http://www.mcmaster.com/#2243k13/=u2d7h
        Cheaper variants available, Grizzly and Harbor Freight
        sell but that belt looks to be at least a 5V. Might save
        a headstock tear down. Clik on the catalog page on the L side of
        the page for more options, they have upto 3/4" wide link belts.
        Steve

Comment

If that is a 10"X24", one of my lathes is essentially the exact same machine, except mine is painted green and says "JET" on the front. I used one of the adjustable link belts that Carld suggested. Works great and is much less work than tearing the spindle down.

I have a JET manual. It is not too detailed, but has some blow-up type drawing that may be helpful. I think I may have some scans of the the spindle drawing that I can email to you, if I can find it.

All in all a decent machine in that size, I like mine.

Comment

They are nice well made lathes. I have one from the same factory but a later model. Taking the spindle apart is relatively easy , watch for set screws in pulleys etc. HOWEVER. I think you will be much happier with the red link belts made by Fenner. I know I am and its a 15 minute job to replace the factory belt.

Comment

Yes; it's a 10X24. I had read somewhere that Shen Wai made the 1980's vintage Jet lathes.

It would be great if you had any documentation to share with me; I would be most appreciative.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Pherdie
                A great belt ,but not for bi-directional rotation applications.

Fred
                I don't see me using this much, if at all in reverse. After all, it has a threaded spindle, so any chuck work is out of the question in reverse.....

Comment

Pop the spindle out, its not magic. looks like less then 2 hours work to me. About 30 minutes and its on the bench. the other time is setting it up all again. hell I bet 10 minutes and the spindle is out and 20 minutes getting it clean ready to go back together.(rolls of paper towels work well at that point)

If you own it you may as well get after it.

I bet the guy who put it together to start with was not a wizzard he just did it. That one is an easy one.
                  Last edited by tattoomike68; 03-02-2009, 11:54 PM.

Comment

If it was me, I'd go for a link belt. In theory, they work best in one direction. In reality, they work fine in both directions. Install it so that it's correct for normal direction. That'll probably be its direction of rotation for 99% of the time.

Also, just how heavy a cut can you take with the spindle running backwards when you have a threaded on chuck? I'd think the chuck would drop off before the belt gave any troubles.

Ian
                    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Good lathes

Hi Jeff, mine was a Taiwan built Lantaine 12 x 36.
                      Here is the manual http://www.bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=608

This may also help
                      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...light=lantaine

I would be most appreciative for any wisdom the team can offer
                      When using the back gears be sure to disengage the bullgear lock-pin.

if you choose to remove the spindle shaft; 'O' ring the spindle shaft collars to prevent oil draining from the rear bearing
                      Last edited by speedy; 03-03-2009, 05:46 AM.
                      Ken.

Comment

I measured the pulley today; it clearly is a 5V. (It looks like it has a B belt on it, although it could just be swollen on the top) Of the Fenner and other brands of link-style belts, I couldn't see any that explicitly fit a 5V (5/8"). What do you guys use? Seems that the 9/16" probably is close..

Jeff

Comment

link belt here too stuff science.Alistair
                          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I am aware that it has been quiet some time since the above discussion but I still hope that this message will reach the right people. I have recently purchased a Shen Wai Winchester Model No 250 manufactured in 1980
                            Is there anybody who can help me with any form of manual/instructions or any relevant literature on the machine ???
                            Any help at all shall be highly appreciated !!!

Comment

Originally posted by attie View Post
                              I am aware that it has been quiet some time since the above discussion but I still hope that this message will reach the right people. I have recently purchased a Shen Wai Winchester Model No 250 manufactured in 1980
                              Is there anybody who can help me with any form of manual/instructions or any relevant literature on the machine ???
                              Any help at all shall be highly appreciated !!!
                              When you do a Google search for these, you may want to include the 15 or so different names for very similar Taiwanese lathes manufactured during that era as shown at http://www.lathes.co.uk/taiwan/

Perhaps you can stumble across some additional help that way.

Dan
                              Salem, Oregon

Comment

Working...
                              X