No announcement yet.

Posting CAD Drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the best way for others to be able to read your drawings other than have the CAD pasckage that yo drew it in is for you to convert them to PDF. There are a number of free converters available. Cutepdf is but one of these. I had the same problem with Solidedge drawings but was luck enough to have had Adobe Acrobat which does all of this also.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy1
      Thanks to all. I used the Cutepdf to load the drawing below.

Bigboy1 you see how the lines and text are fuzzy-edged and out of focus? That is because you saved it as a jpeg. Lined drawings should be saved as a GIF if you want sharp lines and clear text, and doing so will give you a smaller file size too.

The rule is simple:
      For an image with sharp lines/solid colours - save as a GIF
      For an image with multi-shaded colours and blended lines (i.e. a photo) - save as a JPG.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

why even bother with GIF's and JPG's when you can link the original pdf to the file ?

Test drawing for quality.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk...rcs%20test.pdf

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Either way is good but I know I have one old laptop that takes for ever to open online pdf's just because of how long it takes to open acrobat reader. Also you can tag a gif/jpg to appear in the thread automatically.

I use pdfill for printing pdf's:

Open, View, Edit, Save and Print PDF Documents without Adobe Acrobat

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I will not allow any Adobe software on my computer.
            It's just a hog that wants to take over.
            Try running Foxit instead.

I think it was Evan who first mentioned this software and it's brilliant, instant opening and no bloatware

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks John - I'll take a look at that. It drags my old lappy to a stop and I can't update it for a new one (actually got a new one) because I need the serial ports for hooking to my bike's fuelling computer and datalogger.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Serial port card

Peter,

why not see if serial port cards are still available - they were pretty cheap.

Comment

I'll do that when it finally expires OT. For now it does the job I keep it for - I guess it will be the battery that finally sees it off

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Bikes "Fuelling computor and Data logger"??????????????????????

Can't remember them ont' Veller and Gutzi Peter.

Regards Ian.
                    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Exporting as a Jpeg file works but there frequently is a quality drop in the drawing resolution, you can get the jaggies.
                      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                        Bigboy1 you see how the lines and text are fuzzy-edged and out of focus? That is because you saved it as a jpeg. Lined drawings should be saved as a GIF if you want sharp lines and clear text, and doing so will give you a smaller file size too.

The rule is simple:
                        For an image with sharp lines/solid colours - save as a GIF
                        For an image with multi-shaded colours and blended lines (i.e. a photo) - save as a JPG.

Try it and you'll see what I mean.
                        Peter,

How do you save it as a GIF file?

The only options I have for file extensions in my Photoshop are: PSD, PDD, EPS, JPG, RAW, SCT and TIF. No GIF. The only extension I recognized in the picks I had available was the JPG so that is why I used it.
                        Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy1
                          Peter,

How do you save it as a GIF file?

The only options I have for file extensions in my Photoshop are: PSD, PDD, EPS, JPG, RAW, SCT and TIF. No GIF. The only extension I recognized in the picks I had available was the JPG so that is why I used it.
                          When I last used Photoshop I had to scroll the filetypes to near the top of the list to see GIF as an option. Otherwise you can use the 'save for web' option and set the type as GIF.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                          X