Gearwrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearwrench

Gearwrench clicky spanners. I am tempted by these. Are they tools or toys?

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr...x_combination/

...or is there something better?
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

They are very good for assembly, but are lousy for "reefing" the bolts home.
    The ratchet mechanisms just don't hold up to torque loads. Even though they are warranteed, I still have many broken "new" ones.
    My .02 that's all, Mike
    Bricolage anyone?....one of lifes fun games.

Comment

Not for breaking heavy torqued bolts,but really nice for those in tight places where a 1/4 turn isn't possible.

Oh,forgot to add,I have one of their socket sets with the pass thru feature that is really nice and capable as any other ratchet.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have a set. I really like them. As the other posters said, I don't use them to break loose rusted bolts or anything like that, but I use them on many repair projects as my first choice over standard spanners (wrenches).

Where they really shine is when you are assembling bolt/nut assemblies. You can apply pressure to the bolt head with your finger thru the opening while you quickly ratchet them down. Standard sockets/ratchets don't allow you to apply down pressure.

Comment

i have the snap-on version and even my son hasn't been able to break them. don't know about gearwrench strength but even if you had to take it a little easy it would be worth it. they are very handy. i use mine a lot.

Comment

A couple of years ago I treated myself to a set of the deluxe Sears equivalent, with flex head that latches in position. They're very nice and as others have observed, handy for repetitive work and areas where you need a box wrench rather than a socket, but don't want to have to keep repositioning it.

It won't substitute for regular socket or combination wrenches, because both the box and open ends are a bit fat, and won't fit into very tight quarters.

Ideal for some jobs - you'll never reach for any other tool when adjusting the fan belt on your car.

Comment

the 5 piece flex head ratchet wrench set that HF sell are very nice too

Comment

used the stubby version for removing the glo-plugs on a Diesel Kangoo van.
                Alternative was remove engine

Comment

Had a set of regular gearwrenchs in my box for years.When I was still in the shop running a bay,I used those things every day and they hold up great.Like Oddball said,not for breaking lugnuts loose,but for what they're intended its good stuff.

Comment

I sold a bunch of them when I worked in a parts store, last year. But we got a lot of them back, broken. The majority of our customers were truck and heavy equipment mechanics and, true to form, used them for things they shouldn't have. I recall one kid in particular. Strapping fellow, about 25years old, spent most of his day repairing garbage trucks. He bought two sets of "Gearwrench" wrenches, and had a continious stream of broken wrenches going to and from the manufacturer. Fortunately, the manufacturer was good about the warranty, and didn't ask too many questions. The ratchet mechanism is the weak point on them.

When I was wrenching, myself, I bought a set of "Snap-On" gearwrenches, but the "Snap-On" wrenches use a gearless clutch instead of a ratchet, so they will engage in a much shorter space. I used them for years, without a problem. Still have them, in fact.
                    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Just as others have said, not your primary wrench set, but for things like
                      self- lockers in limited spaces, they work great.
                      The open end isn't all that great, but that's not what you
                      buy them for...

They are kind of pricey for the quality...

I have 2 sets of the 'flip- over' kind
                      and one of the switched kind. When you need 'em, they're great.

t
                      rusting in Seattle

Comment

I have tried all the Gearwrenches and have settled on one set in my tool box. The set I prefer is the locking flex XL style. These have a flex head but can be locked in position. They have a serration in the open end jaws that work like a flank drive socket so the open end works much better than a standard open end wrench and they are long enough to get some leverage on. I have had this set for over a year and not broken any yet, they get used almost every day in an auto repair shop. Here is a link,
                        http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr..._locking_flex/
                        Mark Hockett

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I've borrowed some briefly and they definately have a nice feel and handy.

Time to speculate think
                          "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

I have a set of Gearwrench brand and like them. I also have a set of 4 Crescent brand I like better. The head is angled about 10* and there is a lever to switch from tighten to loosen. The Gearwrenches are flat and have to be turned over to reverse. Anybody that uses a light ratchet to bust loose stuck bolts deserves skinned knuckles.

Comment

I have a set of stubies standard and metric. Use them daily. I got the stubies cause I knew I would break loose with a regular wrench and just use the ratcheting wrenches for speed. They also fit well in tight places. WARNING: I haven't had it happen yet but come close. If you are on a flange headed bolt and come up against a frame or flat surface you're screwed (if you don't have the reversing lever). You'll have to cut the bolt to get you're wrench back, and it's usually in a tight place. But they are extremely handy.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X