Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Computer Problem: IE crashes when I click on link to photos

Can anyone suggest a reason for this?

If there is a forum thread with a link to a photo, I click on the link, the photo opens, then when finished looking, I close it.

I can do this twice, maybe three times, then Internet Explorer crashes and disappears.

I don't have any other problems, nothing crashes or does anything wierd, just when I try to open photos.

If I open a webpage or a forum thread which has photos which automatically appear, I have no problems at all. It is only when I click on a link to a photo.

I had my computer checked out, they could find no problems. I have done the 'housekeeping' things like empty temporary internet files, cookies, defrag etc, it makes no difference. If I check my System 'C' properties, it is half full.

I have been living with it for months simply by not opening many photos....IE has crashed 3 times trying to look at the photos in the Bridgeport quill thread....

Any help greatly appreciated thanks!

I'm no expert.....
    but you might try going to "internet options" look under the "general" tab. There should be a "settings" button that you can click on for something like "Tabs". Try experimenting with how the links open. Try having them open in a "new window" or "a new tab in the current window". I use the "new tab in current window" personally, but that may not be best for you. IIRC, those pictures pertaining to the cleaning and painting of a BP, are pretty big; don't know for sure if that was the thread you were looking at or not. Big pictures can overwhelm a marginal machine (in terms of ram).

Comment

Do you have a good anti virus program and is it up to date? This is an absolute must in today's internet.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Jim,

I'll try that, thanks. The thread I mentioned is about the BP quill stop, the photos are small, but still the same problem.

edit: I checked, I use "new tab in current window".

Paul,

I have Norton, always kept up to date, thanks.
        Last edited by Peter S; 03-05-2009, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Remove and reinstall cures most software problems for me. Anyone agree?

Comment

I had a lot of problems with IE 7.
            Microsoft has IE 8 in a trial version out for free down load(Google it).
            After installing it I have had no problems with IE

Comment

I solved all of my IE problems by upgrading to Firefox.
              This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
              Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
              Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by GKman
                Remove and reinstall cures most software problems for me. Anyone agree?
                I just love it when yall post these threads on Windoze problems. It reminds me of the times when I struggled with the similar problems, and why I took the plunge into Linux, eventually finding a comfortable home with Linux Mint.

Mind you, Mint is not perfect, but at least when I encounter a Mint bug, I can go to the Mint forum and talk to the geeks who write the software and usually get some answers.

Remove IE ? YES !!!! If it will let you.

Reinstall IE ? NO !!!!!!! If you don't like Firefox, there's a half a dozen other browsers out there.

Firefox isn't perfect. I was originally attracted to Firefox because it was so much lighter than IE, but in recent years Firefox has become bloated. Still, I haven't found anything better, and I'm addicted to some of the add-ons like Foxmarks and Fireftp.

Comment

Linux is great but I find the lack of decent CAD and 3D software to be an issue.

Otherwise I'd put Linux on the X41 laptop, I got it on both R40s and the desktop at home.

I run Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop environment.
                  This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                  Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                  Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

You can't remove IE from XP although you can hide it. Therefore you can't reinstall it.

I suggest you make sure you have the latest updates done including Service Pack 3.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Have you tried another browser such as Firefox (as Liger suggested) and see if the same problem occurs?

Comment

Working...
                      X