O.T. Insulted @ car Dealership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. Insulted @ car Dealership

I went into my local Chevy dealer to the parts department to ask about the plastic clips that hold the door trim on, it was on my 1987 GMC/Chevy 4 wheel drive pick up, the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
    It really made me mad and I told him F.U. and if I was to buy a new truck it would be a Toyota as they have more American made parts in them and are assembled down the road in Georgetown KY.

Graeme

Good for you.

I guess my old Buick Roadmaster that I keep running is part of the problem as well, along with The Neon That Time Forgot, eh?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I've walked out of car dealerships too when I felt like I was just being insulted, not listened to, or jerked around.

One was a hunt for a used Toyota for my wife and we went to a Toyota dealer. We told him what model and year range we were looking for. He goes off for a while and comes back saying, "OK, I've got just the car for you." Different model, different mileage range, not even close to what we asked about. So either the guy 1) doesn't listen to a customer at all, 2) thinks I can't tell the difference, or 3) has some lemon on his lot he's been dying to get rid of and he thinks I might be the right fool to hang it on.

If he'd at least said, "Sorry, I don't have one like that, but these other choices might be options for you." I'd have at least stayed and talked with him, but this sounded like time to get on down the road and try another dealer.

I wonder if the owners of some of these businesses have any clue how many customers they're driving away to competitors.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Sales is an art. You have to listen to your customers, find out what they want and find a way to give it to them.

Sometimes... despite your best efforts you cannot please the customer, either because you don't have the product or lack the capability to make a part. It doesn't hurt to be graceful in defeat, that's the true test right there. If you can accept the fact you can't help the customer and direct them to someone you can you'll come across as a better person than if you try to high-pressure someone into something they don't want/need/can't use.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Originally posted by GRH
          ....the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
          Graeme
          Or you could have told him, "Sure, I'll buy a new truck, as long as you'll make the payments."

Originally posted by GRH
          ....It really made me mad and I told him F.U.
          Graeme
          Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

We were looking to buy a new car and went into a Buick dealership. Big place , it looked deserted. We wandered back into the shop and found someone to talk to and was told there was no one on the sales floor because they were having a " sales meeting " . We left.

Comment

That does stink......tough to say if it's the pressure they're all feeling but it's no excuse and he should be reported to the manager, that guy will drive off business........those clips are available at NAPA, could have said you'll think about buying one when they start making real trucks again.........LOL
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Originally posted by ninthst
                We were looking to buy a new car and went into a Buick dealership. Big place , it looked deserted. We wandered back into the shop and found someone to talk to and was told there was no one on the sales floor because they were having a " sales meeting " . We left.
                Got to love it when the all important team meetings become more important than actually doing the job.

Comment

Originally posted by GRH
                  ......the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!

They (Your sales guy and the Government) seems to have forgotten the enviromental benefits of running the old one.....or was that all just lies to exploit us in another way
                  "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Note to new car dealers: Call me when your salesmen no longer start out the conversation with: "How can I earn your business?"

About the only thing they could do to make me less inclined to buy a car is put a Chihauhau in every one I wanted to look at.

Roger
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Last year, my wife was wanting to buy one of those Ford Escape Hybrids. She thought it would save lots of $ on fuel (gasoline was at $4/gal about then) and I tried to convince her that we could put "a lot" of $4 gasoline into the old car for what the new car payments were going to be, but she wouldn't listen to me...........go figure?? Besides.........she was going to get a $2000 tax rebate for buying the Hybrid........that was enough for her.

Anyway, the Ford dealer help my cause........They "tacked on" an extra $2K to the vehicle price (just because they could) and wouldn't budge on the price because (as they said), "If you don't buy it.........someone else will". They were literally "stealing" the government rebate before the person could get it.

When my wife heard that...........she told them to "cram the car where the sun don't shine"......LOL

She still bought a new car.........just wasn't a Ford and not from that dealer...........I really didn't win..........LOL
                      RPease

Comment

Originally posted by GRH
                        I went into my local Chevy dealer to the parts department to ask about the plastic clips that hold the door trim on, it was on my 1987 GMC/Chevy 4 wheel drive pick up, the parts guy said it was people like me that is causing GM's problems by keeping a old truck running and not buying a new one!
                        It really made me mad and I told him F.U. and if I was to buy a new truck it would be a Toyota as they have more American made parts in them and are assembled down the road in Georgetown KY.

Graeme
                        You'd think that service people in the auto industry would be bending over backwards to provide a sterling service in these uncertain times. Quite what the service guy was hoping to achieve is anyone's guess but he's just guaranteed lost a potential future customer in you, and possibly in your family, friends and anyone who reads this.

If I were in your position and had someone talk down to me like that I wouldn't hesitate in writing a letter/email to GM head office detailing what he said and how I felt about it. Teach the loud-mouth to keep his narrow-minded opinions to himself in future.
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Dealers and sales people still don't get it. They just don't want to sell what the public wants.

1) had thoughts to order a new 2010 Camaro sight unseen and not available for probably 4-6 months. Was willing to put money down and pay MSRP. Salesman acted like he could care less. Told me they weren't taking orders yet (I knew other dealers across the country were taking orders), would only get a couple of them in and they hadn't figured out how much to mark them up yet. Bah Humbug

2) Went with daughter, cash in hand, She wanted a new, 2500, 4wd, leather interior Chevy Suburban. $6000 off, fine, But it came with a $5200 DVD system and $2000 Bling wheels. They ALL were like that. $58,000 MSRP sticker price. Good by, Bah Humbug.

3) Son in law was ready to buy same Suburban (no bling wheels or DVD players) sight unseen from a dealer 400 miles away. Didn't dicker on price, wanted it delivered. Willing to pay for delivery, price of delivery not important. All done over the phone and via internet. Salesman figured up price, deal was set (ie; call you in AM with delivery info). Then the dealer says 'Oh we can't guarantee/insure the vehicle while being transported. WHAT? I'm willing to pay for it. Nope, sorry forget it.
                          Bah, Humbug.

I hope every damn, last one of the dealers with their heads you know where go under.

As far as bailouts and they have to buy dealers out, I say let the market forces run their course. Dealers that can't sell cars will go under and the strong ones will survive. No need to buy them out at a equivalent of a 2 year profit/expense cost.

Comment

The irony of your story is obviously lost to that person behind the counter. With new car sales in the proverbial toilet, parts sales and service are the only thing keeping the dealerships alive at the moment.

You should have told that nimwit that it is guys like you that are keeping him in a job at the moment, and with his attitude, he won't have a job much longer....

Comment

you could have conjugated on GM that has done a wonderful job ensuring their vehicles are on the road for as short a time as possible. Interior door handles that break off in your hand. P'sOS. grrrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                              X