OT: Turn your Canon Powershot camera into a super camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Turn your Canon Powershot camera into a super camera

Check this out. No modifications. No firmware changes. FREE. Just add a file to the memory card and it loads when you use it. Presto!

RAW - CHDK can record raw files, giving you access to every bit of data the sensor saw, without compression or processing. Raw files can be manipulated on the camera, or processed on your PC. CHDK also has experimental support for the open DNG raw standard.

Override Camera parameters - Exposures from 64s to 1/60,000s with flash sync. Full manual or priority control over exposure, aperture, ISO and focus.

Bracketing - Bracketing is supported for exposure, aperture, ISO, and even focus.

Video Overrides - Control the quality or bitrate of video, or change it on the fly.

Scripting - Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced bracketing, and much more. Many user-written scripts are available on the forum and wiki.

Motion detection - Trigger exposure in response to motion, fast enough to catch lightning.

Edge overlay - Detect the edges in a scene, and display them later. Ideal for timelapses, stop-motion, stereography and much more.

Live Histogram - CHDK includes a customizable, live histogram display, like those typically found on more expensive cameras.

Zebra-Mode - Displays under and overexposure areas live on the screen.

GRIDS - Create custom grids and display whichever one suits your shooting conditions.

Multi-Lingual Interface - CHDK supports about 13 languages, and adding more languages is simple.

DOF Calculator - Display detailed DOF information on the screen.

Customizable OSD - Improved display of battery status, free space, camera parameters, and much more. Fully customizable with an on-screen editor.

Filebrowser - Manage files without a PC.

Textreader - Display text files on your camera.

Games - Play Reversi, Sokoban, Mastermind or 4-in-a-Row on your camera.

USB remote - Simple DIY remote allows you to control your camera remotely.

Benchmark - Compare the performance of your SD cards.

User Menu - Edit your own customizable User-Menu for fast access to often used features.
    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

It's enough to make want a Canon Powershot....
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I see my A570IS, which sells for about $100, is supported by this. I never thought it would be possible to shoot RAW with this camera. I'll have to give this a try.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

duplicate post
      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Please do try it Allan. When you do please post a review. I am extremely interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
          Please do try it Allan. When you do please post a review. I am extremely interested.
          Evan,

Although the FAQ threads show that it is possible to use CHDK on a Mac, it is not very straightforward, at least to somebody of my level of expertise. I could not get past the first step, which was to add a file to the root directory of my SD card (needed to get the camera's firmware version number). I know the Unix commands needed to do this, but the SD card was a DOS Fat 16 file type, and nothing worked. A teenage hacker would have the job done by now, but it could take me awhile. My high school 50th reunion is in a few months!
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
            A teenage hacker would have the job done by now, but it could take me awhile. My high school 50th reunion is in a few months!
            My grandmother was programming HTML in her 90s. So no excuses based on age please.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
              So no excuses based on age please.
              How about an excuse based on fear of viruses? I clicked to download a script for a Mac installation, but this required me to look at an ad for "sexy singles in Phoenix" for 30 seconds before the download began. I finally decided to give it all a miss.
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Oh come on, you're never too old for "sexy singles in Phoenix!"

...actually good point. Send me the link, I'll download it and scan it and all that and fire it off to you via email. I got some heavy-duty scan-and-destroy stuff at my disposal.
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I just installed this on my SD1000 and it seems to be working just fine. Loads of useful functionality built in, and easily expandable with the available scripting. One thing I've missed on this camera is having reasonable control for long exposures. This takes care of that too! I probably won't be able to give it a full tryout for some time, but like what I see so far.

Thanks for posting this Even. If there's any particular function you're curious about I'd be happy to try it out.

Jeff

Comment

I have a Cannon a570is as well. To bad I know little about cameras. I'm going to have to read more about this.

Steve

Comment

My son tried this (or a similar program) a while back on his A590. Worked great on that camera. Pretty cool!

Comment

Allan,

Try formatting the card as FAT32. The camera will probably read that just fine. The cool thing about Canon cameras is that they run DOS of some version which makes them easy to hack. This is certainly an intentional decision on the part of Canon and has sold a lot of cameras I'm sure.

Jeff,

I would like to know how long the shutter delay is for the motion detection function. Try dropping an object in front of the camera from just outside the field of view. A little simple math will tell what the delay is from the object entering the field to the shutter firing. If that produces no discernable delay then drop if from further up so that it enters the field with some velocity. Maybe put a yardstick in the background and drop the object in front of that.

Comment

Even,

I only got a couple tries in before the battery died, but it seems promising. It took a bit of tweaking to get a decent response. I think I've got a sheet of 1" ruled poster board around somewhere. I'll set that up this evening as see how it does.

Jeff

Comment

I hope some one ports it to my 20D

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Allan,
                              Try formatting the card as FAT32. The camera will probably read that just fine. The cool thing about Canon cameras is that they run DOS of some version which makes them easy to hack. This is certainly an intentional decision on the part of Canon and has sold a lot of cameras I'm sure.
                              The card came out of my camera, where it works just fine. The problem is I don't know how to add a file to its root directory (as stated, to learn the camera's firmware version number), except by using my Mac's command line editor. That's what doesn't work.

I think I'll get it figured out in the end. I'm inspired by all the features that CHDK can provide, not only on my A570 but on the G9 too.

[edit] I didn't read far enough in this, which should give me the step-by-step instructions I'll need to follow: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac
                              Last edited by aostling; 03-06-2009, 10:25 PM.
                              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X