Had a good day today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a good day today

After getting some flack about all the saw marks on the bed of my mill the other day which turned out to be my vise jaws I decided to hgive them a bit of a clean up.

Removed the jaws and threw then on the swing grinder and nobbled a few thou off them. Cleaned the casting up with a flap wheel, filled my coffee cup up with cast iron dust, tastes a damn sight better now and though about painting the vise before re fitting the jaws..........

Whoooooogh, lets not get carried away, if Ower Gert comes in and finds me with a paint brush that's the end of life as I know it.

Never thought to take a before picture but here's the finished job

Oh yes, forgot to mention, made a few lathe tools as well in case I break a tip or two

Took me most of the day though, can't beat lanes 15 minutes

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

What are all the tool holders for?
    Customer, or for your own use?

Sid

Comment

Customer, although I do keep the odd one back if there is any defects on any for personal use.

Sounds brash but these are once only use tools, they go out of portable machine hire and never come back, they either get thrown or stolen. They are chargeable by the hire company so they don't worry unduly.

Need to go over the road on Monday for hardening and blacking and when they come back they look the bizz, adds at least threepence to the value..

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

contest

Not to steal John's post but I too had a great day beside the fact I am suffering from the flue and I got a great deal to do before Monday!!

Now the main part of this post, a contest to name as many things as you can in the background of John's pics above.
        I saw bronze,matches,capactor...
        Last edited by motorworks; 03-07-2009, 05:27 PM.
        please visit my webpage:
        http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Where's the matches ?
          Been looking for them all week.

PS it's brass BTW.

Comment

They look great now. I see a ball pein hammer, allen wrench, duct tape, a bearing, a gear. All this with a hang over too.

Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by ClintonH
              They look great now. I see a ball pein hammer, allen wrench, duct tape, a bearing, a gear. All this with a hang over too.

Clinton
              No way its a spanner (Wrenches haven't crossed the pond yet)and there's a pencil with a rubber on the end

Steve Larner

Comment

3/8" T-handle allen wrench
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by SDL
                  No way its a spanner (Wrenches haven't crossed the pond yet)and there's a pencil with a rubber on the end

Steve Larner
                  Allen key, surely? Never heard them called spanners before.
                  Oily rag, looks as though it was once a candlewick bedspread
                  J&L flyer.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                    3/8" T-handle allen wrench
                    no such thing its an Allen key

Comment

Looks like a small screwdriver and a file too and a big yellow mystery box.
                      Stuart de Haro

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
                        Allen key, surely? Never heard them called spanners before.
                        Oily rag, looks as though it was once a candlewick bedspread
                        J&L flyer.

Tim
                        No, to the right of the Pencil with rubber and the Allen Keys is a spanner, just see the ring end in front of the Restored vice, Open end is up by the bearing (For headstock trials).

Birmingham Screwdriver looks like it could with a restoration on the shaft.

Comment

Oh yes, forgot to mention, made a few lathe tools as well in case I break a tip or two

and there is the reason for jigs and fixtures. i would like to see the set up you use to make those tool holders. . . and im certain others would too.
                          davidh

Comment

I'll get a few pic's tomorrow, well later today now as it's 1:20am here.

Nothing special, they are milled 8 at a time, drilled and tapped 3 at a time, only one actual jig used and 3 degree angle block out of a standard import set.

PS,10mm allen tee handle, bearing is off an inverse rotor, that's a motor where the shaft is held fixed and the motor rotates used a lot on fans for some reason, a right bitch to do.
                            yellow box is actually a small piece of laminate flooring I was stamping some plates on to prevent marks. Pencil is a pencil believe it or not, never re-sharpen one, the pencil factory is literally 50 yards up the road, when I run out of pencils or pens I walk up and ask for a box of rejects and they give me a big box full where the printing is smeared or miss formed
                            Last edited by John Stevenson; 03-07-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Great job John
                              I always enjoy the pics so do post more in the am
                              and remember the clocks "spring ahead" tonite!
                              e
                              please visit my webpage:
                              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X