Wayoil ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayoil ??

The manual for my lathe says to use machine oil on the ways. Is this wayoil?
    What do you guys use on the ways? I have used engine oil, but not sure about it, as it may not stick on that great. What about STP oil treatment, that sticks to everything.
    For the gearbox I used Castrol SAE 30w non-detergent.

Thanks

Did a search, not much turned up.

Originally posted by Big T
    The manual for my lathe says to use machine oil on the ways. Is this wayoil?
    What do you guys use on the ways? I have used engine oil, but not sure about it, as it may not stick on that great. What about STP oil treatment, that sticks to everything.
    For the gearbox I used Castrol SAE 30w non-detergent.

Thanks

Did a search, not much turned up.
    You better put on Your fire proof suit ,there is going to be trouble heading in Your direction .

I use Mobil Vacuuline , Enco has ''way'' oil in one gallon jugs IIR.
    I have My Nomex near by , so I'll admit to running Dexron ATF in My Leblond and have had no problems at all.

Steve

Comment

Wayoil?

Use Liquid Paraffin which was the original 'Way Oil'

( Err uhm, in more ways than one)

For piles of swarf?

Oops,

Norm

Comment

The manual for MY lathe says to use 30wt oil on the cross feed oilers which feed the ways. It is NOT way oil, but you would think that the manufacturer has SOME idea of what should be done. In fact the maual is REAL simple:- use 30 wt oil in the gearbox, the apron and ALL the gits oilers. Duffy
        Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Ok I will start the ball rolling with three little words..

Chain Bar Oil...
          Precision takes time.

Comment

Use whatever you want, or run the ways bone dry.

"way oil" just makes it easier for you. If you don't want that, use vaseline....... or tar....... or chain oil, or whale snot....... we don't care how hard you make it for yourself!

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

i use SAE 30w non-detergent on every part of my lathe no problems here

for the tranny/gear box they say 10 or 20 wt but i use the 30 and works great and fairly quiet running as well been over 4 years now and the lathe is not complaing any

Comment

I wouldn't use new oil, to expensive. Wait till you do an oil change and use that. Jay
                "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Originally posted by tiptop
                  I wouldn't use new oil, to expensive. Wait till you do an oil change and use that. Jay
                  Good idea and you can go the whole way and put all the swarf and turnings in your car.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by tiptop
                    only if you drive a mercedees diesel (sorry i couldn;t help myself)

if you make 10,000 parts a month it may be important to use way oil, otherwise, just keep it clean and wet with lube. . . imho

real way oil is probably the best.

Comment

On an older manual machine – a little ATF goes a long way to clean out the wicks and get the single shot oiler working properly again.

The paraffin base oils dry out and gum up after time.

But I use Mobile Vectra medium

Comment

Way oil is cheap, and for hobby use, lasts a very long time.. So why not?

Comment

Thanks guys. I will see if I can find some wayoil in town.
                          Shell, Castrol and Mobil are some of the bigger names I found on the web that make the stuff.
                          Is wayoil quite sticky and thick or does it flow like 30w oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Big T
                            Is wayoil quite sticky and thick or does it flow like 30w oil?
                            Number 2 way oil has the same viscosity as 30 weight motor oil, but way oil has tackifiers which allow the oil to cling to the ways, without increasing the viscosity. The tackifiers greatly reduce the stiction of the sliding ways.

Motor oil (and ATF) have a ton of detergents, which hold dirt, swarf, soot in suspension. That's not a good thing for a machine way...
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

There's a dead whale on the Oregon coast

If you want to get the "original" original way oil go get a couple of pounds of blubber and render it down to whale oil. that was the standard for over 100 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X