Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way, way OT: Lawyers gripe my butt!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Way, way OT: Lawyers gripe my butt!

    I've been in business with a partner since 1979. In 1982 we took in another partner. In 2003 the first partner retired and we bought him out. Last May the other partner decided to go to work for another company so I asked him what it would take to buy him out. He said I'll take X amount, and I said ok I'll give you that amount. He then goes to a @#^%&* lawyer and the lawyer says no, no, you can hold him up for more than that, so the deal is off. Next the lawyer wants to meet with me and my CPA and we get there and he has hired another CPA and says I'm trying to rip off my partner. I say, he told me what he wanted and I said ok, so how am I ripping him off? The lawyer says we're worth more than what I'm offering, so I meet with my CPA and we up the anti by 35K. The lawyer doesn't even tell the partner this amount and ups it another 15K back to me. I tell the lawyer the price just went down 30K and as of 5PM this afternoon we push out the K1 and the partner is owing taxes instead of getting a refund of 6K. My secretary(bless her heart) calls the partners wife and tells her that the lawyer is mucking up the deal and it's costing them big time. The wife calls the partner and tells him to call the lawyer and tell him to take the deal. All of this crap and it comes right back to where it started with my counter offer. Lawyers talk a lot of talk but they really don't know s**t about anything but screwing up the works.
    Ahhhh, I feel a little better now.

    Patrick

  • #2
    Here yet again is more proof that partnerships never workout.

    Here yet again is more proof that most lawyers are unscroupulous lying hacks.

    Patrick,I am assuming your secretary gets a nice bonus,she just saved you a bunch of money
    I just need one more tool,just one!

    Comment


    • #3
      Lawyer stirs the pot, creates a few more billable hours for himself/herself.

      Standard operating procedure.

      Comment


      • #4
        Know why a shark won't eat a lawyer? Professional courtesy.

        Do you know how to tell if it was a lawyer or a dog that got run over in front of the Courthouse? If it was a lawyer, there would be no skid marks.

        I know I'm not going to hell when I die. There won't be any room because of all of the politicians and lawyers already there.
        No good deed goes unpunished.

        Comment


        • #5
          Paying people who enjoy arguing to work by the hour is pretty much a recipe for disaster. The key to success is realizing that lawyers are simply another tool used to carry out *your* design.

          As for partners, you're better off with no one than a bad one, but a good one is worth his weight in gold. I am 5 years in with mine and there is no question having both of us has made the business much stronger. The one piece of advice I have is to have a prenup just to avoid things like this one. That's also a good test of how good a fit you are.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HSS
            I've been in business with a partner since 1979. In 1982 we took in another partner. In 2003 the first partner retired and we bought him out. Last May the other partner decided to go to work for another company so I asked him what it would take to buy him out. He said I'll take X amount, and I said ok I'll give you that amount. He then goes to a @#^%&* lawyer and the lawyer says no, no, you can hold him up for more than that, so the deal is off. Next the lawyer wants to meet with me and my CPA and we get there and he has hired another CPA and says I'm trying to rip off my partner. I say, he told me what he wanted and I said ok, so how am I ripping him off? The lawyer says we're worth more than what I'm offering, so I meet with my CPA and we up the anti by 35K. The lawyer doesn't even tell the partner this amount and ups it another 15K back to me. I tell the lawyer the price just went down 30K and as of 5PM this afternoon we push out the K1 and the partner is owing taxes instead of getting a refund of 6K. My secretary(bless her heart) calls the partners wife and tells her that the lawyer is mucking up the deal and it's costing them big time. The wife calls the partner and tells him to call the lawyer and tell him to take the deal. All of this crap and it comes right back to where it started with my counter offer. Lawyers talk a lot of talk but they really don't know s**t about anything but screwing up the works.
            Ahhhh, I feel a little better now.

            Patrick
            This is bad but I would hire a crack head to remove the lawyers teeth, break all thier fingers and dump them 10 miles out of town with a stick up thier butt.

            Thy would not bug me twice. And that me being nice.

            Comment


            • #7
              edited for commie punks
              Last edited by tattoomike68; 03-10-2009, 02:26 AM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah. 99.9% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
                The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tattoomike68
                  This is bad but I would hire a crack head to remove the lawyers teeth, break all thier fingers and dump them 10 miles out of town with a stick up thier butt.

                  They would not bug me twice. And thats me being nice.
                  Deleted...................................
                  Last edited by gnm109; 03-10-2009, 01:54 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by gnm109
                    What a strange thing to say in public! That would be soicitation to commit mayhem, assault, kidnapping, false imprisinment and attempted murder. Surely you're kidding......

                    I'm a lawyer, by the way. I'd like to meet you sometime for coffee. You sound like a really interesting fellow.

                    LOL just kidding..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lawyers are scum every last one of them..

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by tattoomike68
                        LOL just kidding..

                        Phew, I feel better now. I was worried for a while.

                        I worked as a lawyer for 20 years and retired (maybe temporarily) due to medical reasons a year or so ago. I met a few attorneys that I would consider to be less than honest but they amounted to only a handful.

                        I'm not stcking up for the breed. Everybody's got a story to tell.

                        There are good and bad in all professions. When choosing an attorney, people should use as least as much care as when choosng an accountant or a machinist.

                        To bring this post back to the OP's original OT post, I cannot tell you how difficult partnerships can be, especially when they are being dissolved, or one partner passes away, or gets a divorce or other family members meddle, etc. etc.

                        The area of partnerships is a well-known hotbed of dissension and there are many cases to show this in the law books. JMO.

                        Now back to our regularly scheduled machining posts.

                        .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The problem most people have with lawyers is that they hold tremendous power over us. An Ambulance Chaser can file one paper to the courthouse... and we lose thousands of dollars paying a lawyer to defend us.

                          My wife and I are currently being jerked around by such a lawyer with a baseless suit. And there's nothing we can do but pay and pay even though we can't lose.

                          So while I don't agree with it I can understand the sentiment behind the rather colorful metaphor someone posted earlier.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here yet again is more proof that partnerships never workout.

                            Here yet again is more proof that most lawyers are unscroupulous lying hacks.
                            Yadda, yadda.

                            C'mon now.

                            I've been in business with my partner, Richard, now for FORTY YEARS, and there's NO sign of difficulty - we'll be doing biznez together until one of us drops dead. (Retirement is for those poor souls who don't like their work.)

                            As to attorneys, well, I've yet to have experience with one I didn't trust.

                            You sometimes see what you expect, if you catch the drift. . .
                            Cheers,

                            Frank Ford
                            HomeShopTech

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gnm109
                              Phew, I feel better now. I was worried for a while.

                              I worked as a lawyer for 20 years and retired (maybe temporarily) due to medical reasons a year or so ago. I met a few attorneys that I would consider to be less than honest but they amounted to only a handful.

                              I'm not stcking up for the breed. Everybody's got a story to tell.

                              There are good and bad in all professions. When choosing an attorney, people should use as least as much care as when choosng an accountant or a machinist.

                              To bring this post back to the OP's original OT post, I cannot tell you how difficult partnerships can be, especially when they are being dissolved, or one partner passes away, or gets a divorce or other family members meddle, etc. etc.

                              The area of partnerships is a well-known hotbed of dissension and there are many cases to show this in the law books. JMO.

                              Now back to our regularly scheduled machining posts.

                              .

                              Im sure you are a good person but, I were you I would get a real job and live longer. poor people need lawyers, help them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X