Looking to buy a lathe, advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a lathe, advice

I'm going to look at a used lathe. The guys says its a 10x30 and made in India, any good lathe's come out of India?? He didn't tell me much about it, but quick change tool post, some tooling.

Thanks

Originally posted by parrisw
    I'm going to look at a used lathe. The guys says its a 10x30 and made in India, any good lathe's come out of India?? He didn't tell me much about it, but quick change tool post, some tooling.

Thanks
    Nope. None that I know of. I'm sure they've made useable lathes, but not good ones. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go look at it or that it won't serve your purposes, but don't think India is a sign of quality by any means. Sounds like your average import machine. I wouldn't spend very much on it, if I were in your shoes.

Notice that these threads come up often on the board and cause lots of argument. A recent thread regarding import vs American machines is right here:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33669

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
      Nope. None that I know of. I'm sure they've made useable lathes, but not good ones. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go look at it or that it won't serve your purposes, but don't think India is a sign of quality by any means. Sounds like your average import machine. I wouldn't spend very much on it, if I were in your shoes.

Notice that these threads come up often on the board and cause lots of argument. A recent thread regarding import vs American machines is right here:
      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33669
      Thanks, I've used Chinese ones with great results, you just have to know what your limitations are. I'm not machining anything huge, mostly small parts. I don't have lots of $$$$ to spend on a good old american iron.

Comment

Then it sounds like your in a good position to take a look at it and determine whether or not it will work for you. I'm pretty "stingy" when it comes to calling things "good". For instance, I've yet to see a South Bend that I would call "good". I call them useable, aesthetically pleasing, stylish, etc.

Comment

If you're looking for something made in India that is used, you might check out Harbor Freight. They're Chinese made, but probably for the same price you can get a new lathe. It will need the usual deep clean and adjusting before use, but a great bargain regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportandmiah
            If you're looking for something made in India that is used, you might check out Harbor Freight. They're Chinese made, but probably for the same price you can get a new lathe. It will need the usual deep clean and adjusting before use, but a great bargain regardless.
            most 10x20's around here, are $1500 min for chinese

Comment

I believe Enterprise lathes come out of india and they are pretty good.

Comment

Plus one on the Enterprise, I used a small one in a Vo-Tech shop and it was a pretty good little lathe. I liked it better than the SB 10L that they had. It was inch or metric and had higher spindle speeds.
                James

Comment

HMT (Hindustan Machine Tools ) made some good stuff. Moyes and Groves were importing and distributing the stuff when I worked there some 40years ago.
                  When we opened the containers at the loading dock the call went out RUN!! .....and find a bench to stand on
                  The cockroaches were numerous and huge
                  Last edited by speedy; 03-10-2009, 05:36 AM.
                  Ken.

Comment

It all depends on your budget. Less than $1000? Get an Atlas or Craftsman, or a new Chicom 9x20. $1500? Look for a South Bend 9" in good repair. Or a new Chicom.

I'd look at any lathe regardless of county of origin, but I would do research on models that aren't the stand-bys sold at HF, Enco, Jet, etc.

Comment

Panther makes lathes,coneheads still-
                      http://www.lathes.co.uk/panther/

As does Gujarat which still makes larger swing conehead lathes along with modern belt and gear heads.
                      http://www.gujaratlathe.com/products/cpglp.htm

I was suprised anyone was still making commercial sized coneheads.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I sold my Clausing 5914 last week.
                        I ordered a PM1236 yesterday.

I put lots of investigation into the purchase.
                        I should put that effort into investing, where in the last year I have lost so much money, that the cost of the lathe is insignificant.
                        There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
                        The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Comment

http://engineering.indiabizclub.com/.../lathe_machine
                          DZER

Comment

Atlas, in India, makes lathes, milling machines, brand new shapers, and much much more- nail making machines, anyone?

http://www.atlasmachinesindia.com/map.htm

The Indians have been making jewelry making machinery for some time, too, as India is a Huge jewelry manufacturing country- they are the world's largest buyers of gold, by far.

Fancy stuff like chainmaking machines, cnc engraving machines, and rolling mills for precious metals.

Comment

My understanding is that the Indians have improved a lot in the last 20 years with tooling etc don't suppose that would rule out lathes so whay not check it out.Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X