PM site down 2 days now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM site down 2 days now???

I get a "data base error" when I try to go to the PM site. Is that what ya'll are getting too?
    It's only ink and paper

Yeah, I've been getting the same error. Sure hope everything was backed up. There was a LOT of very good info stored on that board.

Comment

It works for me, and I have had no problems in the past few days.
      Jim H.

Comment

Working OK for me, but I see one of the recent topics asks if anyone else is getting DB errors

Comment

i had the same problem ,i just used a search engine and got there, now i log on normallyas before , so trythat see if it works.

Comment

It's been up and down over the last few days.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I got database error also yesterday when running Mozilla but opened ok in Explorer.Today it`s just not available in both browsers.
              M of PM did mention in a post that he has some new fix for something getting carried out this week.

Comment

nope that didnt work, somethings shagged over there,or over here or inbetween or somewhere.

Comment

It definitely is having problems. The database engine that is used to store all the data (all the posts and forum structure are database data) is mishandling queries. Being a Linux system it is probably using MySQL and it's got data corruption of some kind or the file system is broken. It takes 30 minutes of downtime to do validity checks on both.

What would really bite is if the file system doesn't support large files (greater than 2gig), and one or more tables or logs has exceeded that limit. Then there's odd things like the Storage Area Network has a bad switch or gbic or some other mechanical failure or the network interface on the data network has come up in half-duplex mode on a full duplex switch or vice versa. And if neither SAN nor NAS are used and he's got only stand-alone internal disks then one of them could be going gunnysack or run out of inodes.

Comment

I hope Don is a better machinery salesman than he is at running a site, that pos site always has some sort of issues it seems.

Not working for me either

Comment

I check out the PM website about 10 times per day (just as I do here) and I haven't had any trouble. I'm totally baffled that some of you have been experiencing these issues. Could it be a regional/geographical issue?

I just checked-in over there and I am now seeing the same error message, but this is the first time. Everything has been pretty much normal over the last several days, until now. It was working fine around 4am today, as this was the last time I checked-in prior to going to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Caudill
                        I check out the PM website about 10 times per day (just as I do here) and I haven't had any trouble. I'm totally baffled that some of you have been experiencing these issues. Could it be a regional/geographical issue?

I just checked-in over there and I am now seeing the same error message, but this is the first time. Everything has been pretty much normal over the last several days, until now. It was working fine around 4am today, as this was the last time I checked-in prior to going to bed.
                        It is a growing problem. It was sporadic yesterday with one or to pages broken. This am it's completely hosed.

As of 9:26am today it's all working again.
                        Last edited by dp; 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                          I hope Don is a better machinery salesman than he is at running a site, that pos site always has some sort of issues it seems.
                          You need to consider that PracticalMachinist is many times larger (number of members, threads, and posts) than Home Shop Machinist forum.

I did have some sporadic connection issues yesterday, but I posted a thread in the VFD forum and have gotten a bunch of responses, so PM's obviously working for some...
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

There's another problem with smaller systems and even some larger systems and that is concurrency. The system, files, and DB can all be perfectly healthy but there's too many connection attempts for available allocated socket space so a query can fail. That causes a retry storm as people hit reload, and it runs away at that point. It calms down after a proper interlude of people backing off. Without getting too geeky, a tcp/ip socket is established between the visitor and the server, and that has a minimum time to live after the visitor has moved on. If that ttl is too long and the site is too busy it can run out of socket assets.

What makes this an interesting possibility is the recent addition of RSS he's added. If a lot of people are subscribed to his RSS feed it can deplete needed resources for interactive browsing. This is generally a small matter of resetting some parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              You need to consider that PracticalMachinist is many times larger (number of members, threads, and posts) than Home Shop Machinist forum.

I did have some sporadic connection issues yesterday, but I posted a thread in the VFD forum and have gotten a bunch of responses, so PM's obviously working for some...
                              Pffft I've been on lots of forums over the years, some small and some much larger than PM and PM consistently has been one of the worst ones as far as performance goes. The sites that usually perform the worst are the ones that fail to update their bulletin board software, I don't know what PM's malfunction is and maybe its not Dons fault.

Comment

Working...
                              X