Greyscale to 3D Software Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greyscale to 3D Software Needed

I have an idea for a project that would involve taking greyscale images and creating 3D reliefs from them (basically take a headshot of a person, turn it into a greyscale image, and then use that to try and create something that looks like a nickel). If I can find something that would create a 3d file like a .stl or a .iges file that would be terrific.

Cam Bam will create the g-code from a greyscale image to carve a relief.

example:

Last edited by Evan; 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
      Cam Bam will create the g-code from a greyscale image to carve a relief.
      V-Carve is another product that does the same thing:

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...c_features.htm

3D Grayscale Machining

PhotoVCarve automatically converts a grayscale image into a 3D height map that can then be carved.
      The example below shows how the grayscale image for a 3D model can be converted to a 3D height map and machined using a Ball nose cutter.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

CamBam Standard is free.

Comment

Vectric's PhotoVCarve almost gets it right but the tool paths generated are all straight line, sort of makes your images look like a fuzzy TV picture. Cambam looks interesting. I met Andy at the Austin Maker Faire year before last and really liked him. Very dedicated to his project.

Comment

Something I will be working on sometime this year is a plugin for CamBam that will generate spiral heightfields of photographic content. A spiral produces a much smoother surface for many 3D shapes because it has less visibly discrete steps than a sequence of parallel lines. It also is harder to discern most types of aliasing that can be a serious problem with an orthogonal array.

Comment

Working...
            X