No announcement yet.

Bolts, torque, and grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rod cap bolts on by bike were supplied by Carllo with a tube of some kind of moly-sulphide grease to apply before fitting.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Common sense and some research are in order. Blanket statements pro or con are wrong. A few years ago I knew a man who oiled the engine mount bolts on a 900 Kawasaki, he then applied loctite to the nuts (both of these actions were spelled out in his service manual). He rode about three miles before the bolts loosen and vibrated out, he was almost killed when the engine decide it wanted to go sideways. The nuts were nylock titanium.

If you aren't sure,evaluate the following:
      The fastener application (bolt ,stud)
      Material of the fastener
      through or blind hole
      type of material threaded into (ferrous, non-ferrous)
      temperature range environment the fastener will be subjected to.
      Look at the link below:

NSTM (NAVAL SHIPS TECHNICAL MANUAL) 075 FASTENERS

Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

It is worth noting that the Navy torque table is 100% based on lubricated threads, per paragraph 075-4.3.2.2.4 b. They don't provide any information for unlubricated threads, which may be specified on some drawings.

The manual does provide a practical way of determining the proper torque in nearly every possible case for lubed threads.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Some people building fast engines have gone to relaxed versus stretched bolt lengths. Works if you know the bolts are a proper alloy and the stretch they work at best.

CHALK.. a excellent thread galler that works as good as locktite sometimes.

Wet threads, well I knew one certain hillbilly that built engines in the 70s and 80s.. I, I mean he, assembled a engine using STP on the rod cap bearings.. MOTOR started knocking after about ten laps drying the track. THE normal torque no longer mattered with that thick film taking up clearance. I've tapped them with a brass hammer ever since.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
          X