OT, Composite Photo software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Composite Photo software

First, I'd like to thank all the folks who responded to my request for information on Canadian train trips. It's given me a lot to investigate.
    My new query is to locate some low cost software that simplifies the creation of a pseudo cut-away illustration of an assembly. I think the way it would work is to create a series of digital photos of the various parts of an assembly in their appropropriate relationships from a single vantage point, and then combine them with varying levels of transparency to allow the cut-away view. Is this how it's done, and has anyone on the forum done this? What did you use, and is there a "home-users" version?

Thanks,
    Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Any bitmap image manipulation package which handles layers & masks should allow you to make a good start, you'd have to be willing to read the manual & learn how to use the software though.
    I'm a Photoshop fan but it helps that a company I used to work for bought me a license,
    Regards,
    Nick

Comment

Does Photoshop Elements have the capabilities to do this, or does it have to be the full Photoshop package? It was not clear from their website. What other programs can do it?

Thanks,
      Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

http://gimp.org has a free "home version" of Photoshop. There are some podcasts on using it (photography mostly) at http://meetthegimp.org/

Comment

I don't think PhotoShop is going to do what you want if you want a 3D view. PS works in 2D. You would be able to "stack" the layers with a different image on each layer but when you clicked on the middle layer you would just jump to it and you would not have a cutaway view.

You can put two (or more) images together and bring them both to half transparency if that's good enough. You could also make a dynamic gif that over time will dissolve from one image to the other at whatever rate of transparency you want. The learning curve on PS is pretty steep but it does have pretty good documentation.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
          X