Extruding Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extruding Aluminum

We're discussing an idea for a small project here at home and it seems to me the best way to go about this would be to change the shape of the aluminum rod by forcing it through a die and then doing the rest on the lathe.

Now, I know someone who can make the die and have it hardened for me that's not the problem... problem is power. I've done small extrusion stuff like this before but that was with a big power press.

I want to force a 3/8 inch diameter aluminum rod through a die, can it be done with an arbor-press in stages? Press, lift, press, lift, press... Or does it have to be done all in one stroke?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

What's the part need to look like after it's done? Maybe it would be easier to just machine it instead. Post a picture or a sketch so I can see what's involved in machining it.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
      What's the part need to look like after it's done? Maybe it would be easier to just machine it instead. Post a picture or a sketch so I can see what's involved in machining it.

Roger
      I'll put the drawing up Monday, we're still making it as I type.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Do you know the compressive strength for the type of Alumininininium you're trying to squeeze???

Regards Ian.
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
          Do you know the compressive strength for the type of Alumininininium you're trying to squeeze???

Regards Ian.

It's 6061 from the hardware store. "Steelworks 3/8 Inch Aluminum"

I'll have to look that up, won't I.

Comment

Working...
          X