Assistance with a bearing selection for a tubing notcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance with a bearing selection for a tubing notcher

Gents--I would like to construct a tubing notcher and would value recommendations on the appropriate bearing to use for the spindle. This would be similar to the ones you have all seen on various sites for tubing notchers and powered with a hand drill of less than 500 RPM. Here is one of the best I have seen so far:

http://www.syncnotcher.com/

I picked up several Thompson Linear Bearings on eBay a few years back but wasn't sure they would be capable of both the axial and radial load. These fit a 1.000 shaft.

Yes, I know a bushing would be the easiest way, but this is project is more "art" and the tool itself than the easy of construction and function, in other words yes, I want to over engineer the heck out of it.

Any suggestions on the appropriate bearing? And in advance, thanks!

And peace ruled throughout the land and everything was good. The air was then wrent asunder and with a gnashing of hair and a wrending of teeth the word BEARING echoed thro' the corridors.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

A thompson is not meant for rotary motion. You'll trash it. You need a Rotolin or a plain bushing if you want that kind of design. You could use a hollow shaft with a Thompson and do something more like a drill press quill. Or, a pair of Thompsons and a shaft for the holesaw.

Comment

I think you meant gnashing of teeth and rending of hair

A good plain bearing can out-perform rolling element bearings in certain applications. You may actually be under-engineering it if you sacrafice the durability and reliability of a plain bearing. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I don't know, Medusa probably experienced gnashing of hair.

(I think that was the right mythological character... the one with snakes. ???)
          Last edited by lynnl; 03-14-2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Geez, no bearings puh-LEEZE...let's stop this right here & now!

Something a lot less controversial maybe....like: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29942

Now the bearings in the chopsaw...hmmm, I wonder what the preload is in those puppies? Are they made in China??
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Oh yeah h/f, since you don't need those Thomsons now, will ya' send 'em my way?
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Jeeezzzzzzz....if I had only known how controversial this topic was...so sorry I have obviously violated the laws of mother nature herself, but everyone please remain claim, it's all over now, forget it was ever posted, I swear I'll never do it again, I don't want any wrending of my teeth, whatever that may be, my dental plan doesn't cover it.

The Rotolin's would be the way to go thanks Just Bob. Given the probable cost of those babies, I'll revert to the plain bearing concept.

Thanks for other suggestions for those Thompson's, we'll be saving those for the next project.

Comment

There is one other question before I go to bearing hell:

A reasonably priced source for a Oilite self-lubricating oil impregnated sintered bronze bushing 1"ID 1 1/4" OD 3" long?

Comment

Oilites are around $5 or $10. You can buy a foot of bar or hollowbar for $25.

Comment

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMPXNO=5873869

MSC Part 35375633
                      http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=35375633
                      (MSC owns Enco)

Item number 6391K288
                      http://www.mcmaster.com/#6391k288/=107ie1

And numerous other sites, I am sure. I usually order through Enco - they have fast service and (with a promo code) free shipping for orders over 25 or 50 dollars.

Comment

even with a good bearing, you'll tear the heck out of holesaws doing it that way.

i like using the lathe. put an endmill into the chuck then use a v block on the compound and feed the tube into the radius of the endmill instead of feeding the endmill into the flat part of the tube. works quite well.

Comment

Fasttrack--thanks for the links, it is much appreciated I'll go with Enco, MSC has raped me for the last time on their shipping prices.

Comment

No prob - if you don't have it already, the free shipping code is PRSMAR for free shipping on orders of 25 bucks or more. Also, WEBPM9 should work too.

Comment

Oh man that it worth a beer and a steak! Outstanding thanks a million.

Comment

Working...
                              X