Aloris Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloris Problem

I have an Aloris BXA Wedge type and it seems like the wedges have to move to far down to wedge the holders properly... put a thick washer under the holder and that seemed to hold the body up enough for awhile, but now it again acts like I can't get the wedges far enough down again. Anyone kno0w whats going on here?

Walt
    Walt

What brand Tool holders are you using with it? Some Chinese holders do not lock properly as the dove tail is too wide.

Comment

Yes they are chinese, never thought to compare it to how the Aloris holder I have fits...have you heard if a person could fit a shim in the toolholders to take up space?
      Walt

Comment

Probably CDCO tool holders.
        Shimming or adjusting will work, but then you others may not fit.

I use Aloris holders for the tools I use most, and Shars for secondary use tools such as chamfering tools, small boring bars, etc. The Shars and Aloris that I have all lock with the handle in the same position. I recently acquired some CDCO holders from someont that purchased the wrong size y mistake, and they lock with the handle all over the place, so I'll stick to Aloris and Shars brand. Shars are only a few dollars more per holder than CD CO anyway.

Glenn

Comment

Thanks for the info...I'm pretty sure they are CDCO and as for shimming, I was thinking of shimming the holder and not the toolpost...wouldn't have loss of toolpost that way

Walt
          Walt

Comment

Didn't get to expound on that, my ice cream was melting!

Comment

Just cut a shim to slip in the dovetail on the stationary side with a bent part at the top to keep it from falling through and easy to hold when removing the holder. A shim like the ones in broaches is what I am talking about not that thick though.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have two AXA Aloris posts on my two lathes, and a friend gave me some BXA holders.
                I made some brass shims ( .030 ?) with bents tabs like the previous poster mentioned, and keep the shims with the holder when not in the tool post. Works fine.
                Sometimes you have to position the toolpost near the edge of the compound, because the BXA's need to be lower to meet C/L, but shims work well.
                Don't use them on the sliding wedge side of the DT.
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by alcova
                  I have an Aloris BXA Wedge type and it seems like the wedges have to move to far down to wedge the holders properly... put a thick washer under the holder and that seemed to hold the body up enough for awhile, but now it again acts like I can't get the wedges far enough down again. Anyone kno0w whats going on here?

Walt

I too have aloris and china holders and am familiar with the size differences BUT the the original post description does not sound like this issue. From his description it sounds like the fit is changing! Is something loose inside the toolpost?

Comment

That's a good point Sparky!

I would suggest trying an Aloris holder to see if it locks with the handle/wedges in the correct position which should normally be about the 4:00 to 5:00 position with the tool post squared up to the spindle axis. (At least mine does)

The wedges move downward to expand so a holder with an over width dovetail would cause the wedges to move downward farther than they would normally be with a correct width dovetail. Some of the Chinese tool holders are also not very hard so possibly the dovetail has expanded slighty more with use causing the wedges to move farther downward to expand enough to lock the holder which could possibly be causing the change.

Since the condition, age, and origin of the tool post was not revealed it could also be a possible tool post problem, but I'd explore the possibilities of a holder problem first since Chinese tool holders are involved. Another factor that was not revealed is if this was happening while using the same holder, or if a new holder was used when the difference occured.

I guess another term that apparently does not translate well into Chinese is "quality control"!

Glenn
                    Last edited by Glenn Wegman; 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Walt, Have you taken it apart? The post that holds it together has fine threads and I found on my Aloris BXA that a previous owner had been tightening the wedge lock with to much force and the threads had started pulling. You might want to look inside it. If nothing else they are an interesting mechanism to inspect. I contacted Aloris out of curioucity to see what the post cost. They told me they wouldn't or didn't want to sell it, but wanted me to send in the toolpost complete for an overhaul. I said no thanks I will make one. Jay
                      "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Working...
                      X