Gloat - drill press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloat - drill press

Found a drill press out on Craig's list the other week and bought it. Turns out that the fellow selling it lurks around here. Maybe he will turn up on this post.

Anyhow, here is the machine.
    Click for larger photo.

Got the dog in there for scale.
    Moved it into position last weekend. I was impressed with the weight on the machine. It looks very top heavy, and it is to some extent. But I was able to move it by hand with pipe. I cant wait to dig into the control and start getting electric to it. Searching for a good chuck for it now. MT3 if y'all want to get me a gift!

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

I can see the big red dog but I uhh geez, theres the drill press. Nice find.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat

Got the dog in there for scale.

rock~
      Yeah, right, we all know thats the workshop supervisor.

bollie7

Comment

I'll bet that baby would take you for a ride if you didn't clamp down the work

I got your dogs buddy here, Boz, a 1 year old chocalate lab. He's looking for a swimming partner!
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Mr. Rockrat, I am sorry to be picky, but you did not mention the brand name of the drill, nor did you mention the horsepower of that monster motor. Seriously though that is an impressive find. Congratulations!!! JIM
          jim

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
            Found a drill press Got the dog in there for scale.
            I was impressed with the weight on the machine. It looks very top heavy, and it is to some extent. I cant wait to dig into the control and start getting electric to it. Searching for a good chuck for it now. MT3 if y'all want to get me a gift!

rock~
            I guess the dog is smaller than it looks, only a mt3 . I wudda guessed at least mt4 or 5.
            How big is the motor? What does it weigh, and how did You haul it?
            Nice score Rock.

Steve

Comment

great drill press

So are you drilling a lot 1/4 holes with it, it would not fit in my shop Brett

Comment

YOD, yea, she would love to go for a swim. Its hard to keep her out of the water, especially if there are ducks nearby. She is rated for fur and feather. Heck of a good dog.

Anyhow back to the machine. Its an Chas. G. Allen. Looks as though they are still in business. And this looks like the top of my machine, just newer.

Click for larger photo.

Weight? Heavy. The seller guessed 2,000 lbs. I'm guessing a bit lighter but I could be wrong.

Motor - big. This thing is about a foot + in diameter. Multi tap, it is marked with motor speeds of 1750/1160/870/580. It has 2 different pulleys and a back gear so I will be playing around to see what speeds are delivered at the chuck. It is also marked at 1.5 hp.

The table is close to 2'x3'. All sorts of area to hold things that have nothing to do with drilling. Isn't that how it always works? A large flat surface on a machine in a shop will always collect work that is not done on it.

Hauling? Trailer. Sunblet rentals around here rents a trailer with a drop bed on it. Nice to have when moving.

Not a great shot, but you get the idea. Another fellow on the bbs here turned me on to it.

rock~

Comment

Hhhmm, looks like an excellent BOAT ANCHOR, that should stop the tinny from drifting with the tide. :-)

Comment

That is a monster, Rock!

I'm not familiar with that kind of 'multi tap' motor, but I wonder if that big switchbox lets you select the different motor speeds...?

I'd love to have that beast in my shop... Gonna give it a cleanup and paintjob?

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Rock,
                      Missed that on Craigs List, next to a surface grinder a large (I mean big, like your drill press) is my next want, drilling/boring large holes, can be beat.

Hope you find the time to give it a good detailing, nice find, would be useful in any shop.

Ken

Comment

Nice drill press, actually bigger than mine. I really like having a big drill press. Kinda like a big lathe, sure comes in handy. Congrats on the score, I would love to have a big dove-tail column press like that, like I have room for it.
                        Russ
                        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Ken Shea, I saw a Boyer Schultze grinder somewhere the other day. If I see it again I'll drop you a pm if that would be the size for you.

Yes, the switch box drives different windings or it is my belief that it does. This controls the speed, 4 positions. I have never played with a multi tap motor even though there is one in my lathe.

At some point it will get a clean up. It was running when I bought it so it will be put to work first. I was laid off in Feb and I need to generate some wealth for myself soon with the shop or I'll have to go get a real job again.

Anyhow, the machine is asking for a paint job. It is currently shedding its skin. I think that the drive home from Dave's place blew off some paint. Not that I was going that fast fast.

rock~
                          Last edited by rockrat; 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Solves the major failing of most "home shop" sized drill presses. IMO the table is alwys too freaking small. Just like sheds, pole barns and garages
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Nice score ! where did you find that trailer? is it local rental?
                              scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

Working...
                              X