X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    Those inserts look like something I can use. Cermet coated carbide, negative rake, good for hard turning and cheap for you to mail. Now I need to find out when Dennis is coming up this way. He can take the bits back with him and stick them in a flat rate box for me.

Oh Dennis???
    Pm me a mailing address. House, wifes work, anything your comfortable with. I'll get the inserts started. Whats is the best description for crossing the border? Gift, sample, add a bottle of beer?

rock~

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Those inserts look like something I can use. Cermet coated carbide, negative rake, good for hard turning and cheap for you to mail. Now I need to find out when Dennis is coming up this way. He can take the bits back with him and stick them in a flat rate box for me.

Oh Dennis???

Leave a comment:

• andy_b
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeffw5555
    I have rented a much heavier, dual axle drop deck trailer from one of the local rental places here in Indianapolis. They are made by Triple L, which was sold to JLG who make scissors lifts. (this is what the trailers are intended to be used for)

I have hauled Bridgeports & lathes with it, and it has a winch on front to pull the machines up onto the deck. Only problem is getting over the first lip, once on steel you don't even need the rollers/pipe to drag it the rest of the way as the steel to steel friction is much less than steel on concrete.

I even hauled 7500 lbs of ceramic tile on the same trailer.

At this point, I wouldn't consider any other way to move heavy machinery. Makes a one-person move easy!

I wish I owned one, but they are pretty pricey.
    most rental places will rent drop-deck trailers. most folks don't know what they are, so if you go in and say, "i want to rent a trailer", they will just rent you a standard trailer. tell them you're looking for a drop-deck trailer, and most will have them.

i do agree that they are the ULTIMATE in the quest for old iron. if i'm going to haul something that doesn't have it's own power source for mobility, i always rent the drop-decks any more.

andy b.

Leave a comment:

• tiptop
    replied
    Rock,

Do you still need a chuck for it? I am sure I have one, as I have a box full of different sizes and models. My wife is throwing a St. Pats party tonight so I will not get out to look till tomorrow, but I'll see what I have in MT #3 and let you know.

Jay

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Evan, I'll be dumping some photos into the following link

Rockrats almost junk pile

PM me for trade stuff.

I got a late start today. Wife slept in and I was charged with the 6 month old 'till 10am.

Oil Mac - Dont pass out, I moved it standing up. It is possible but you are correct in that it is top heavy. But the center of gravity is low enough that if tilted away from the motor, I could get it to 30؛ and it still didnt pull on the top stabilizing cable I set up. Yes, I set some cables up to the top to control any crazy moves that it tried to make.

Anyhow, I pulled it to the edge of the lift and then just past the base center. The top cable kept the drill upright. Once I was past the middle of the base I slowly let the top cable out and kept the tilt square to the base, and tilted it away from the motor. This let it down the angle of the bed. Once the front of the machine was on the floor, I pulled it by the base off of the bed while always keeping the top cables snug.

Once on the floor, a prybar was used to lift the machine up onto pipes. Then using the pipes, I pushed it by hand into position moving the pipes from back to front as I went. I did have to use the bar to get over an expansion seam in the floor.

rock~
    Last edited by rockrat; 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oil mac
    replied
    Rockrat, That is a very impressive find, once you get its peeling clothes off, and a nice new coat applied it will be something to be proud of, (dont paint the dawg! his coat looks really nice-- Bet he is as useless in the workshop as my cat, after 12 years, he still cant even work my drilling machine, )
    How did you get on moving the drill, did you move her standing up on the trailer? The centre of gravity of these things are top heavy, I always used to move them lying down.
    We want to see the drill pics. , when finished enjoy your new machine it looks a good solid job, with lots of power

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Let me look in my almost junk pile.

Check back tomorrow.

rock~

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Here ya go. Both bits need resharpening and the short one probably isn't worth it but they are both good quality English HSS and the tapers are in good shape. The short one will make a good mount for something as it has a good length before the flutes start.

So, what do you have to trade?? I'll pay the postage at this end.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I will have a look. I think I have a couple that are really too big to use comfortably in the Strands. I'll post a picture.

If nothing else it will give you a couple of good quality MT3 shanks you can use.

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    Dang that is big. You will learn to clamp, vise, bolt everything down.
    Learned that lesson a few years back. Small little drill press, thought that I could hold the part. Wrong. Never did it again. My high school shop teacher was right again.

How are you fixed for large MT3 bits? I may have a spare one or two.
    I have nothing in MT3. If you have some spares, I can look around for a trade-able do-dad laying around here.

I cant even find my mt2 to mt3 sleeve. Must have loaned it out. I have been looking around for a good drill chuck. I am tossing around two ideas.

1) Take the Jacobs chuck from the lathe (mt4) and get a new mt3 shank for it. This will fit the drill and with a mt3 to mt4 sleeve it will fit the lathe as well.

2) Leave the lathe chuck alone and buy an import chuck with a shank. Might even see if I can hunt down a good Jacobs.

Need to review the lathe chucks capacity. Might buy a new one that can take a larger drill.

Decisions, decisions
    rock~

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Actually, that's part of the reason the old "camelback" presses are still somewhat popular. Most of the floor models are MT3 or MT4, back geared for low speeds, and have (assuming it's still in place and/or still works) power downfeeds.

They're not quite as truly monstrous as Rock's behemoth (or have as big a table) but a good one can still push a 1-1/2" drill through an inch of steel.

(I'm going to look at one this weekend. )

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Think I'll look for one. When you were on Craigs list what did you search? "Mother of all Drill Press's" or maybe "big freaking DP"? It's sure going to look sexy if you repaint it real nice.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Dang that is big. You will learn to clamp, vise, bolt everything down. My Strands scares me enough that I never forget. It isn't nearly that big but it is about the same hp. It sure is nice to throw a chunk of steel in the vise and drill a 1/2 hole like it was a 1/8 bit in tin.

How are you fixed for large MT3 bits? I may have a spare one or two.

Leave a comment:

• tiptop
    replied
    Hey nice score Rock. Looks like it will be a real nice DP after a little cleaning. looks like it might be bigger than my large DP. It will probably be more precise. I like that big table with all the clamping room.

Jay

Leave a comment:

• Jeffw5555
    replied
    I have rented a much heavier, dual axle drop deck trailer from one of the local rental places here in Indianapolis. They are made by Triple L, which was sold to JLG who make scissors lifts. (this is what the trailers are intended to be used for)

I have hauled Bridgeports & lathes with it, and it has a winch on front to pull the machines up onto the deck. Only problem is getting over the first lip, once on steel you don't even need the rollers/pipe to drag it the rest of the way as the steel to steel friction is much less than steel on concrete.

I even hauled 7500 lbs of ceramic tile on the same trailer.

At this point, I wouldn't consider any other way to move heavy machinery. Makes a one-person move easy!

I wish I owned one, but they are pretty pricey.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X