lathe upgrade???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,
    Well I did it. It is a South Bend Model A 1947 , 12 speed with an automatic gear changer. 3 jaw chuck in and out , 4 Jaw chuck , Face plate, full set of collets including 9/16, Knurler, Machine light, New belt, spare motor, and assorted odds and ends. The guy used it to do wood work. I got it home and blew off a ton of sawdust!!!! Even the paint doesn't look bad.
    Now I have to figure out where to put it. I am running out of room. I kow of a place for my Unimats and for my Craftsman but will have a hard time separating myself from them. I am kind of a Sanford and son only I don't sell, just acquire. Drives my wife crazy. Slipped this one in so far unawares! Thanks to all Fred

Comment

Originally posted by laddy
      Hey,
      Well I did it. It is a South Bend Model A 1947 , 12 speed with an automatic gear changer. 3 jaw chuck in and out , 4 Jaw chuck , Face plate, full set of collets including 9/16, Knurler, Machine light, New belt, spare motor, and assorted odds and ends. The guy used it to do wood work. I got it home and blew off a ton of sawdust!!!! Even the paint doesn't look bad.
      Now I have to figure out where to put it. I am running out of room. I kow of a place for my Unimats and for my Craftsman but will have a hard time separating myself from them. I am kind of a Sanford and son only I don't sell, just acquire. Drives my wife crazy. Slipped this one in so far unawares! Thanks to all Fred
      Even all the 3c collets? Jackpot!

Comment

That is a nice upgrade for you.

It can be difficult to get rid of an old friend like the Atlas, but I doubt you will find much use for it now that you have a lathe with a QC gearbox. Hang on to it if it pleases you, but keep it together. The Atlas and the Unimats will hold their value or increase. They can always be cashed in sometime down the road for accessories.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate your friendship! Fred

Comment

Sounds like a great deal to me. I started off with a 9" south bend. I still needed to do an odd thread now and then, so I managed to find a small atlas. I use both all the time. It does pay to have more than one machine. Congrats on your purchase.

Comment

Working...
            X