Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laddy
    replied
    Then what do I do with those two Unimats???

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Of course you want it!
    Two lathes is better than one. If one lathe is setup for one operation, you can use the other. I use my taig all the time for 2nd ops.

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    replied
    Hey Jim,
    I knew you would be there to help. Yes, it has a quick change gear box. That is what really attracts me. Changing the gears on the Craftsman is a time consuming pain. I will go look at it tomorrow. From what I have heard the increase in rigidity is significant. I don't do a whole lot of big stuff, mainly steam engines. I have always chosen project size based on my equipment, so it would open up some doors to other plans. Thanks for the help! Fred

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    The 9" South Bend lathe, of course, is larger and somewhat more rigid. It will be able to use some of your tooling, but will require the purchase of additional tooling. The 6" Atlas is not a bad machine, and selling it could raise the money for additional tooling.

Does the South Bend have a QC gearbox? If so, that would be a major advantage over the Atlas.

The decision depends on your needs and the work you do. If the Atlas is capable of performing the work you do, the moderate increase in size might not be worth the exercise of changing machines. If it were me, and I wanted to upgrade to a larger machine, I would look for a 12" or 13" machine. That size change would be significant.

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    started a topic lathe upgrade???

lathe upgrade???

Hey,
    I have been offered a 9" South Bend with some tooling. Presently I have a 6" Craftsman with Timken bearings and ALL the tooling in great shape. Is this a transition that I should take? Are there significant advantages to the South Bend? I realize the larger capacity but......As of now I don't know which model or what tooling.
    Thanks for any input Fred
Working...
X