Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lathe upgrade???

Hey,
    I have been offered a 9" South Bend with some tooling. Presently I have a 6" Craftsman with Timken bearings and ALL the tooling in great shape. Is this a transition that I should take? Are there significant advantages to the South Bend? I realize the larger capacity but......As of now I don't know which model or what tooling.
    Thanks for any input Fred

The 9" South Bend lathe, of course, is larger and somewhat more rigid. It will be able to use some of your tooling, but will require the purchase of additional tooling. The 6" Atlas is not a bad machine, and selling it could raise the money for additional tooling.

Does the South Bend have a QC gearbox? If so, that would be a major advantage over the Atlas.

The decision depends on your needs and the work you do. If the Atlas is capable of performing the work you do, the moderate increase in size might not be worth the exercise of changing machines. If it were me, and I wanted to upgrade to a larger machine, I would look for a 12" or 13" machine. That size change would be significant.
    Jim H.

Comment

Hey Jim,
      I knew you would be there to help. Yes, it has a quick change gear box. That is what really attracts me. Changing the gears on the Craftsman is a time consuming pain. I will go look at it tomorrow. From what I have heard the increase in rigidity is significant. I don't do a whole lot of big stuff, mainly steam engines. I have always chosen project size based on my equipment, so it would open up some doors to other plans. Thanks for the help! Fred

Comment

Of course you want it!
        Two lathes is better than one. If one lathe is setup for one operation, you can use the other. I use my taig all the time for 2nd ops.

Comment

Then what do I do with those two Unimats???

Comment

Originally posted by laddy
            Whatever you want! Face plate on one, 3 jaw on another (like the SB for threading ), 4 jaw on the atlas (since you say it's still in great shape), and a pair of centers on the last lathe. Think of all the time you'll save on set-ups
            Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

All things being equal, a South Bend Lathe is much, much better than a Craftsman or Atlas. Gary P. Hansen
              In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

If you decide to go with the South Bend, do not get rid of the Craftsman. I had one and foolishly got rid of it when I got my 12" Atlas(which was foolish in itself).
                I've many times wished I'd kept my 6". In it's size class it's a pretty decent lathe, and I'd buy another if I came across one at a decent price.

Comment

The Crafstman is fully tooled and darn near new. I can't think of getting rid of it but the opportunity to go for bigger and " better" hangs in my face. I am going to look at it tomorrow. If it is descent maybe, if not No. My wife will hit the roof with another piece of machinery coming in the house! Oh well Fred

Comment

mount one of them on the toolpost of the 9" ... no I'm not kidding.
                    --
                    Tom C
                    ... nice weather eh?

Comment

My wife? Or the other lathe?

Comment

if you must ask ... yes
                        --
                        Tom C
                        ... nice weather eh?

Comment

My wife? Or the other lathe?
                          Your wife like all woman, runs on emotion, not logic.
                          The logical choice is to get the lathe. Logic wins over emotion.

Comment

Get rid of one of the unimats or both the unimats if you must.... but don't get rid of the crafstman.

Steve

PS unless ya want to give the crafstman to me, then it would be ok to dump it.

Comment

I think Steve would be a good candidate for your craftsman lathe and I would be happy to get your Unimats.

Jay
                              "Just build it and be done"

Comment

Working...
                              X