Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chip's
    replied
    Sounds like a great deal to me. I started off with a 9" south bend. I still needed to do an odd thread now and then, so I managed to find a small atlas. I use both all the time. It does pay to have more than one machine. Congrats on your purchase.

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    replied
    Thanks guys! I appreciate your friendship! Fred

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    That is a nice upgrade for you.

It can be difficult to get rid of an old friend like the Atlas, but I doubt you will find much use for it now that you have a lathe with a QC gearbox. Hang on to it if it pleases you, but keep it together. The Atlas and the Unimats will hold their value or increase. They can always be cashed in sometime down the road for accessories.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by laddy
    Hey,
    Well I did it. It is a South Bend Model A 1947 , 12 speed with an automatic gear changer. 3 jaw chuck in and out , 4 Jaw chuck , Face plate, full set of collets including 9/16, Knurler, Machine light, New belt, spare motor, and assorted odds and ends. The guy used it to do wood work. I got it home and blew off a ton of sawdust!!!! Even the paint doesn't look bad.
    Now I have to figure out where to put it. I am running out of room. I kow of a place for my Unimats and for my Craftsman but will have a hard time separating myself from them. I am kind of a Sanford and son only I don't sell, just acquire. Drives my wife crazy. Slipped this one in so far unawares! Thanks to all Fred
    Even all the 3c collets? Jackpot!

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    replied
    Hey,
    Well I did it. It is a South Bend Model A 1947 , 12 speed with an automatic gear changer. 3 jaw chuck in and out , 4 Jaw chuck , Face plate, full set of collets including 9/16, Knurler, Machine light, New belt, spare motor, and assorted odds and ends. The guy used it to do wood work. I got it home and blew off a ton of sawdust!!!! Even the paint doesn't look bad.
    Now I have to figure out where to put it. I am running out of room. I kow of a place for my Unimats and for my Craftsman but will have a hard time separating myself from them. I am kind of a Sanford and son only I don't sell, just acquire. Drives my wife crazy. Slipped this one in so far unawares! Thanks to all Fred

Leave a comment:

• tiptop
    replied
    I think Steve would be a good candidate for your craftsman lathe and I would be happy to get your Unimats.

Jay

Leave a comment:

• doctor demo
    replied
    Then what do I do with those two Unimats???
    Get rid of one of the unimats or both the unimats if you must.... but don't get rid of the crafstman.

Steve

PS unless ya want to give the crafstman to me, then it would be ok to dump it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My wife? Or the other lathe?
    Your wife like all woman, runs on emotion, not logic.
    The logical choice is to get the lathe. Logic wins over emotion.

Leave a comment:

• Astronowanabe
    replied
    if you must ask ... yes

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    replied
    My wife? Or the other lathe?

Leave a comment:

• Astronowanabe
    replied
    mount one of them on the toolpost of the 9" ... no I'm not kidding.

Leave a comment:

• laddy
    replied
    The Crafstman is fully tooled and darn near new. I can't think of getting rid of it but the opportunity to go for bigger and " better" hangs in my face. I am going to look at it tomorrow. If it is descent maybe, if not No. My wife will hit the roof with another piece of machinery coming in the house! Oh well Fred

Leave a comment:

• tdkkart
    replied
    If you decide to go with the South Bend, do not get rid of the Craftsman. I had one and foolishly got rid of it when I got my 12" Atlas(which was foolish in itself).
    I've many times wished I'd kept my 6". In it's size class it's a pretty decent lathe, and I'd buy another if I came across one at a decent price.

Leave a comment:

• garyphansen
    replied
    All things being equal, a South Bend Lathe is much, much better than a Craftsman or Atlas. Gary P. Hansen

Leave a comment:

• camdigger
    replied
    Whatever you want! Face plate on one, 3 jaw on another (like the SB for threading ), 4 jaw on the atlas (since you say it's still in great shape), and a pair of centers on the last lathe. Think of all the time you'll save on set-ups

Leave a comment:

Working...
X