Mag vise and parallels questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag vise and parallels questions

As I was making out my Christmas list (I've started believing in the ol' guy with the white beard again, about the only way I'll get any store-bought tooling until the economy drastically improves) I came across a pair of "Magnetic Chuck Parallels" for $19 at CDCO. Would I be correct in assuming they are for use along with a mag vise and as such just pass the magnetic field through from the vise to the work and have no electro-magnetic coils of their own?

2nd question: If I had a mag vise, (which I don't; hel-LO SANTA) would it be unreasonable to expect it to hold a steel washer well enough to skim off a few thou at a time with the vise mounted on my mill table and a sharp endmill? Yup, I've done the pot chuck routine before but that's a pain for one-offs.

Is there a Surface Grinder Bailout bill in process yet?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
    As I was making out my Christmas list (I've started believing in the ol' guy with the white beard again, about the only way I'll get any store-bought tooling until the economy drastically improves) I came across a pair of "Magnetic Chuck Parallels" for $19 at CDCO. Would I be correct in assuming they are for use along with a mag vise and as such just pass the magnetic field through from the vise to the work and have no electro-magnetic coils of their own?
    yes

2nd question: If I had a mag vise, (which I don't; hel-LO SANTA) would it be unreasonable to expect it to hold a steel washer well enough to skim off a few thou at a time with the vise mounted on my mill table and a sharp endmill? Yup, I've done the pot chuck routine before but that's a pain for one-offs.
    no.........you cant mill on them ..ummm, well i wouldnt

Comment

To reduce the thickness of a thin washer I hold the washer on a strong magnet, and use a belt grinder to remove metal. JIM
      jim

Comment

For holding washers on a mag chuck (for grinding) we used to get two pieces of sheet steel, thinner than the finished thickness of the washer, cut a couple of vee's in the sheet and slide them to either side of the washer so increasing the magnetic gripping area.

Regards Ian.
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Ahhh, both good ideas. Thanks gentlemen!
          Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

note that circlip said grinding

all the best.markj

Comment

Would think that it would grip enough for milling Mark providing its a few thou at a time with a SHARP cutter and not cleaving?

Regards Ian

Comment

I'm feel sure with the additional security gained by using Ian's trick, I can safely slice off a few thou at a time without launching a lethal washer-missle.

Of course, the point is moot until I stumble across an affordable (make that almost free) mag vise.
                Milton

Comment

...and another thing for when I get this hypothetical mag vise; (they're the cheapest kind) when you turn it off does it lose all magnetism and the forest of little chips just brushes off?
                  Milton

Comment

...and another thing for when I get this hypothetical mag vise; (they're the cheapest kind) when you turn it off does it lose all magnetism and the forest of little chips just brushes off?
                    Yes. Permanent magnet chucks do a little better with it than electric ones in my experience. With electric ones there's sometimes a demag button to clear it better. In the off position it's pretty much just a dead lump.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Is there a Surface Grinder Bailout bill in process yet?
                      Check out this video.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUkG...hp?topic=648.0

You can make out enough detail via the subtitles to duplicate this project. Do a search on that auction site for "hard drive magnet". I bought 86 neodymium magnets for $30.00 this way...enough to build a nice big table for my surface grinder and a couple more for my mill. We ARE machinists after all...build what you need if you can't buy what you want.

Comment

Great link websterz, thanks!
                        Milton

Comment

It slides the poles into a neutral? axis when turned off, BUT the chips have a residual magnetism and while you're looking for/making a Mag chuck, keep an eye out for a DE-MAGGER.

Regards Ian.

Comment

Working...
                          X