Cleveland Twist Dril secret code words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland Twist Dril secret code words

This is the 1939 catalog from the Cleveland Twist Drill Company. The cover and binding have impressive, deeply embossed metallic graphics.

At the rear of the book is a list of codewords for just about anything including quantity, product ID and even customer service phrases.

For instance:

"Ascidiform" = ship all you can by freight, balance by express

"Bagpipe" = quantity of 20

"Pariers" = letter size straight shank drill set A-Z

Does anyone know the purpose for these codes? Were they war related? Have I let the cat out of the bag?

Yes, I noticed that I can't spel dril.

Den

Back in the days when orders were placed by telegram, codewords like that were commonly used when ordering. Each vendor had their own system.
    Jim H.

Comment

Possibly used in the days when orders were placed by a telegram, have seen
      something similar in old machinery spare parts books.

Comment

Telegrams are frequently sent with code words to save wording count.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

anyone mention telegrams yet, they used to use codewords when doing them, so I hear.

Comment

I think somewhere I've got a book/catalog from a steam boiler company with their list of words if you need them.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Just like the Navy signal flag system has two or three flag 'codes' for lots of things that would require lots of words otherwise. Ya just gotta have the book!

Pete
              1973 SB 10K .
              BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Code words are still used today. Ever hear the waitress give the cook your order?

By the way, the code words in catalogs were used in telegrams.

Comment

Two brothers owned a farm,one day one brother rode the train to the next town over to buy a bull.He told his brother if he got one he would send him a message by telegram to come on over and help get it home.

The first brother went to the stockyard and ended up spending more than he expected so much more that he only had $.50 left.He went into the telegraph office and asked the operator what he could send for $.50.The operator said just one word was all he could send for $.50

He told the operator to go ahead and send the word "comfortable".The operator said he had heard all sorts of code words,but his was the strangest yet and asked what it meant.The brother told him the story and the operator said,okay then what does the word "comfortable" have to do with what you told me?

Simple he says,my brother didn't go far in school so he'll have to sound it out "com-for-ta-bull"
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Those codes were for when you wanted to use Telex to place an order. Telex charged you by the character. It was what one had before FAX machines were common.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                      Simple he says,my brother didn't go far in school so he'll have to sound it out "com-for-ta-bull"
                      GROAN

Pete
                      1973 SB 10K .
                      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Parents or Wives have a piece of paper called a familygram on which they can send a specified number of words to thier loved ones serving on HM Submarines out on patrol. Two familygrams per "Trip" with a twenty word count were our allocation contained in a five box by four box grid on a supplied printed sheet. ByusgTlxwrdsmaxnmbrwemngdtogetnfrmws64wrds

Bl**dy kids think they invented txt

(By using Telex words maximum number we managed to get on form was 64 words)

The above sentance filled 4 boxes and the Captain and crew used to get copies of the lads gram and compete for fastest translation. Got a phone call early one morning from Sub HQ telling me that they wouldn't be sending one of the grams cos it was in code.DOH.

Regards Ian.
                        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Wierd, that was great! Nice to have something ready for polite company
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                            Wierd, that was great! Nice to have something ready for polite company
                            Ha,punk kids think text messaging is something new

Then we have this classic-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flP-o...om=PL&index=15
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                            X