Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't Go 'round Tonight/It's Bound To Take Your Life/Theres A Bad Idea On The Rise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh?

Originally posted by Liger Zero
    Well the process flow behind the counter is thus:

They pour the coffee into the cup over a block/huge scoop of ice, then they add the sweetener and the cream then they slap a lid on it and hand it to you.

During peak times those workers aren't going to stop the flow of product to spoon a drink... if you slow down during peak times you get fired.

The machine I visualize works like this: You put the cup on the transducer, assemble the drink, put the lid on, press the button and serve. Don't know if it's possible to do it, that's why I'm looking for pieces/parts to play with.

Heck even if it goes nowhere I'll end up learning something.
    I must be missing something here. Dunkin Doughnuts uses a milkshake mixer, and Starbucks uses a blender. Starbucks ought to use a friggin golden spoon for the price. There are no ice scoop things anywhere in sight. McDonalds?, well I've never gotten one there. Is this a different place?
    Mike

Comment

i have a small ultrasonic cleaner at home. you said this is for COLD drinks, right? well if you want to keep your cold drink cold and not hot, an ultrasonic is not the way to go. the fluid in the ultrasonic cleaner i have starts getting very warm after several minutes, and i'm guessing a 3 second burst on high isn't going to do a whole lot of mixing of thick coffee and creamer. if the ultrasonic was cheap, easy, and worked, it would already be in use.

andy b.
      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by mwechtal
        I must be missing something here. Dunkin Doughnuts uses a milkshake mixer, and Starbucks uses a blender. Starbucks ought to use a friggin golden spoon for the price. There are no ice scoop things anywhere in sight. McDonalds?, well I've never gotten one there. Is this a different place?
        Every cold drink I get from DD consists of poorly mixed/layered cold beverage/cream/sugar. Same with McD's. If they have a mixer they aren't using it because this has been going on for years now.

As for the whole mentality "if its possible it would have been done before..." You sir can go crawl under a rock. I intend to prove or disprove this and learn stuff along the way. Maybe it hasn't been done before because the R&D people caught wiff of your gibberish?
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Bzzzzz

I go along with the ultrasonic cleaner idea. You put clean water in the tub of the cleaner, set the lidded drink in the tub and switch it on for a few seconds. I had a lab grade ultrasonic cleaner in the shop at work and did this with small parts that needed grease and nasty grime cleaned off. I quickly learned that if you put the soap and water directly in the tub, you had a bunch of cleanup afterward. I just put the soap solution in a plastic beaker, added the dirty parts, turned it on for a couple of minutes and Poof! Clean parts in the beaker and clean water in the tub.

You could also use one of those little vibratory stirrers that they have in medical labs, to mix crap in test tubes. Just put the cup on top of the little rubber bulb and hit the switch. Bzzzzz and we're all shook up.
          Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Must be a big city thing....

Originally posted by Liger Zero
            Every cold drink I get from DD consists of poorly mixed/layered cold beverage/cream/sugar. Same with McD's. If they have a mixer they aren't using it because this has been going on for years now.

As for the whole mentality "if its possible it would have been done before..." You sir can go crawl under a rock. I intend to prove or disprove this and learn stuff along the way. Maybe it hasn't been done before because the R&D people caught wiff of your gibberish?
            Well down here in the sticks they USUALLY do it better. I'm not saying that the quick swish they do is ideal, but it sounds better than you're getting.

By the way, I don't think the sugar is going to dissolve even with ultrasonics if they put in the ice first. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

Oh, and I don't have direct experience with this, but I've read more than once that working around ultrasonics can cause your bladder to fill rather quickly, or at least feel that way. I don't know if that might be frequency dependant.
            Mike

Comment

it would seem that if things are truly in "layers", that the degree of movement needed to mix is a bit more than ultrasonics can do in a reasonable time.

Ultrasonic energy is quite good at breaking up semi-mixed globs into an emulsion, but the blobs need to be relatively small, or it takes a while.

It would be better to put on a solid top (no air holes) and invert the assemblage a few times...... Then pull off the sealing tape over the holes and hand to customer.

What? They have no such lid?

Well it's now disclosed and in the public domain, and therefore unpatentable. have at it!

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Scishopguy

You could also use one of those little vibratory stirrers that they have in medical labs, to mix crap in test tubes. Just put the cup on top of the little rubber bulb and hit the switch. Bzzzzz and we're all shook up.
                that would be the way i'd do it. i don't drink such drinks though, so i have no idea how feasible it is.

i still say ultrasonic cleaners are called ultrasonic cleaners and not ultrasonic stirrers for a reason. i'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though. in fact, my wife drinks coffee so there is always coffee and creamer at my house. tomorrow i will run an experiment to see just how long it takes to stir a mixture in the ultrasonic. more for my own amusement than any real purpose.

andy b.
                The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Vibrator

Get a "vibrator" (aka "dildo") from the local "Adult" shop - or a woman you know who has one (if you are brave!!) put it into the coffee and turn it on!!!
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo

I wonder if it would clean up the "Family Jewels" as I've heard said the ultra-sonic cleaner does.

Just the thing as a "Party Trick" or when the in-laws or the Vicar calls to visit!!! Or at McDonald's or Gloria Jeans and the Food Hall in the local shopping mall!!!

I'd bet that there'd be more "creaming" of jeans than coffee - but it's be interesting to see who tasted and who liked the coffee - and why!!

Comment

Working in a blowmolding plant YEARS ago.... Well first of all you injection-mold a preform that is surprisingly phallic in shape... then you put it on a rod, drop it into an oven to soak then transfer it to a mold and blow high-pressure air into it. BOOM instant bottle.

I took one of those "surprisingly phallic preforms" that had molded threads for a cap... put a motor and battery and switch arrangement on it and handed it to some women I was acquainted with as a gag gift.

The Wife still has it. Great conversation killer when I go off ranting about plastic and plastic molding technology.
                    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

I have located two ultrasonic dehumidifiers at a church junk-pile, and a quick trip to Alpco has located an ultrasonic welder. I have to go back as I can't haul it on my bike.

The welder itself powers up and screeches, it's got three horns with it... the base where you'd put your fixture is missing so it's just a round column with a welder head and the associated power supply. 220 plug in.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                        What? They have no such lid?

Well it's now disclosed and in the public domain, and therefore unpatentable. have at it!
                        Awesome, I was looking for an excuse to grab that roll-fed thermoformer from Alpco.

Comment

*facepalm*

I grabbed a iced-coffe-with-cream-and-sugar from the local DD just an hour ago. Girl behind the counter says "Gonna take a moment or so, we got word that someone on the internet is complaining about the mixing of our drinks we have to stir them now for 45 seconds."

Ok, fess up which one of you has been talk'n?

Comment

i conducted the experiment.....

my wife finally had some coffee left in the pot this morning, so i figured now was as good a time as any.

the start: coffee on top, creamer on bottom

after a 90 second "ultrasonic stir"

after another 180 seconds (270 secs total)

more pics to follow in next post.......

Comment

part II of "ultrasonic stirring".....

after another 280 seconds (550 secs total)

after another 380 seconds (930 secs total). remember, this is now 15 MINUTES of "stirring"

after another 480 seconds (1410 secs total). this is a total of 23 and 1/2 MINUTES, or close to a half hour

i should also note that while i failed to actually measure the temperature of this concoction, after 23 minutes it was noticeably warmer than room temperature. at this point i tired of the experiment.

i would guess if you had a 1.21 gigawatt ultrasonic cleaner, it might perform the job faster. i'll also say, an ultrasonic generator would probably be ideal to break up sugar crystals in a cold solution, but you would still have to stir it.

i'm not trying to discourage innovation, but it just doesn't seem practical for this application.

andy b.

Comment

relatively inexpensive ultrasonic transducers

A year or two ago I bought several ultrasonic transducers of various frequency ranges and intensities for ~50 bucks a piece. I'll look up the name of the company at work on monday. They were designed to be epoxied onto the side of a tank to clean parts. I was trying to use them for controlled emulsification. The only downside is that you'll still need a decent HF power supply to run them.

Comment

Working...
                                X