5C to ER adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C to ER adapter

A very long time ago I started a project to adapt my ER type collets to a 5C collet spindle (Spin Indexer). I already had the ER type collets and decided to take advantage of them when I got the spin indexer. The spin indexer is very much like this:

http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/cat_leaf.php?id=854

My collet set is similar to this:

http://grizzly.com/products/MT3-Quic...-pc-Set/T10069

I say ER type as I have no idea what they really are. Then I bought a 5C blank arbor as described here:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ank-End-Arbors

The next step was to turn down the blank and thread it to match the threads on the MT#3 arbor. Then all hell broke loose in life with retirement, a need to sell my house, a motorcycle wreck, the economy collapse, and bursitis from hell, and this project got put on hold for nearly a year.

Yesterday I resurrected it and got the 5C arbor turned and threaded. Next is to drill the bore and match the collet taper for the ER type collets. Mark Hockett volunteered his CNC lathe to whip it out and I'd like to buy his lunch and take him up on that offer as my small lathe is not up to chucking the collet arbor for turning the taper. Here's what it all looks like so far (bottom of pic):

Last edited by dp; 03-24-2009, 02:27 AM.

Dennis,
    What timing, I just did an ER-32 to Versamill #2 taper Sunday for Timewarp. Your collet looks like a TG style.
    Mark Hockett

Comment

ARC has the 5C to ER32 holder back in stock, the initial batch of only 200 pieces sold out almost straight away so there must be a demand. Arc is the only supplier of these at the moment as they are made especially for him.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...ts/5C-Fixtures

Bottom of page, can't comment on shipping prices, you will have to contact ARC direct.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hockett
        Dennis,
        What timing, I just did an ER-32 to Versamill #2 taper Sunday for Timewarp. Your collet looks like a TG style.
        I originally thought they were TG as well until I put a mic on them. The L dimension is 1.777" (45.1358 mm) and D is 0.9425 (23.9395 mm). That doesn't match anything at ShopSwarf's site http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/colletmill.html

If you have some free time coming up and if you don't mind I'd love to drop in and say howdy and see your lathe at work. This week is crowded for me but the weekend opens up nicely. I also need to swing by Williams Lake in BC and drop off some things for Evan so maybe I can do a nice loop around the northwest. I have to go to Oroville in easter WA to get the parts for Evan then I could swing back down I-5 on the way home.

Comment

Dennis,
          The weekends are best for me for that kind of stuff. You might have to run a CNC machine while I program your part, if I have a production job going on one of the other machines. Timewarp ran a couple hundred cycles in the four days he was in the shop.
          Mark Hockett

Comment

Ah ha! Slave labor in exchange for CNC time... Sign me up. I'll even shovel chips.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
              Ah ha! Slave labor in exchange for CNC time... Sign me up. I'll even shovel chips.
              Shhhh! This is sounding like a pretty good gig!

Comment

ER collets - way to go!

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                ARC has the 5C to ER-32 holder back in stock, the initial batch of only 200 pieces sold out almost straight away so there must be a demand. Arc is the only supplier of these at the moment as they are made especially for him.

Bottom of page, can't comment on shipping prices, you will have to contact ARC direct.

I support you there John - 100%.

I have both the 5C>ER-32 adaptor as shown at the bottom of the link page:

as well as the "John Stevenson" "Spindexer" that has a 5C bore as well as a 5C>ER-32 adaptor.

Bought from ArcEurotrade (UK).

Both are worth every cent.

I have 5C collets on my tool and cutter grinder accessories and as well as metric 5C collets. So I have the option of 5C or ER-32 (preferred) as I can grip the full range from 2mm (~0.080") to 20mm (~0.800") and all work just fine.

ArcEuro are great to deal with - could not ask for more as regards assistance and service. Same with LittleMachineShop and CDCO (US) - and others. Brit and USPS postal service - to OZ anyway - are faultless.

Comment

Check mark!

This project is done. Visited Mark Hockett today and his very well equipped machine shop. His Haas CNC lathe made short work of my project. After a bit of time drawing up the important parts and testing them on a piece of scrap and giving me lessons on CNC lathe operations, Mark put my 5C blank in the big Haas and less than 2 minutes later it was done.

http://MetalWorkingAtHome.com/

I gave it a try in my Spin Indexer and it worked perfectly! Thanks, Mark - that was a treat.

Comment

Dennis those collets are one of the DIN series.
                    Just made a new nut for a old ELU router last week that uses these but they were smaller than yours.
                    I have a 6:1 speed increaser that uses these, I'll snap a couple of pics tonight and see if I can't find the specs.

I was quite a few missing for my speed increaser and decided to look on Ebay in Germany, found a couple of part sets and bought these, far cheaper than buying new.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Dennis,
                      It was fun having you over. It was also a welcome project to break the monotony of that job I was running in the Fadal, been working on that one for days. BTW I finished that job about 1:15am Monday morning.

John,
                      I wondered what those collets were. We looked on the Internet and in the J&L catalog but couldn't find any name or spec for them. From what I measured they are the same taper as a TG 75 but smaller in diameter.
                      Mark Hockett

Comment

I have a R8 to EOC 25 collet holder for my Bridgeport, I can not find any collet that match the dim of this collet. they have 3deg. per side taper, 2.039 long, and 1.304 dia. just below the groove that holds them in the collet nut. I am hoping to find a 3mt to this collet so I can use them with my lathe, if I can't find one I will try to make on, but since I don't have a taper attachment for my lathe I will have to make one before I can make the holder, I was hoping this would not become too big of a project, does any body know what this collet is.
                        Mike
                        Brandon MI
                        2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
                        1971 Opel GT
                        1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                          I originally thought they were TG as well until I put a mic on them. The L dimension is 1.777" (45.1358 mm) and D is 0.9425 (23.9395 mm). That doesn't match anything at ShopSwarf's site http://shopswarf.orconhosting.net.nz/colletmill.html

If you have some free time coming up and if you don't mind I'd love to drop in and say howdy and see your lathe at work. This week is crowded for me but the weekend opens up nicely. I also need to swing by Williams Lake in BC and drop off some things for Evan so maybe I can do a nice loop around the northwest. I have to go to Oroville in easter WA to get the parts for Evan then I could swing back down I-5 on the way home.

I think those are the oddball collets that Grizzly sells in their R8 "Quickchange" set.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                            I think those are the oddball collets that Grizzly sells in their R8 "Quickchange" set.
                            Grizzly and a lot of others - nobody identifies them, though, and they don't seem to be any well-known style. They work damn well for me and provide a nice range of capacity for a decent price.

Today I cut the end off the sample that Mark made. I put it in the 4-jaw chuck and got it dialed in for zero error and turned the outside and threaded it, then reversed it and turned the other end. Now I have a chuckable collet holder as well as the 5C adapter.

Comment

too bad they dont make the same adaptor for er 40 collets..

I have adaptors to use er 40 collets on morse taper 3 and R8

I would like to use the er-40 collets in a 5c spinner.

Guess i need to make the adaptor dennis just made, only make it to fit er 40 collets.
                              Last edited by mconlee; 03-31-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X