Hello from Aberdeenshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Aberdeenshire

Hi, I've been a lurker on a couple of other forums for a wee while and recently was about to post a question on practicalmachinist.com looking for advice.

Luckily, I came across one of their threads that didn't recommend asking for advice regarding what they referred to as 'toy machines' and that same thread directed me to this HSM website.

I posed a question on a UK site for which is really for CNC users (another of the forums I've been lurking on) - link to the thread here

http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...=3211#post3211

Their responses led me to think that I may be better off with a second-hand Bridgeport, but the issue of weight is a concern.

So here I am, a complete newbie, in fact, probably an incomplete newbie because I've yet to get started with the purchase of any 'real' machinery. No doubt I'll be asking lots of questions prior to my purchases, as well as researching the information and advice given to the questions of others.

Just thought I'd say hello.

Welcome aboard LindenH! The more the merrier, as they say.

You can get a lot of VERY knowledgeable advice here (not necessarily from me ), and it's always cheerfully given, for the most part. ...every now and then some ol' grouch will snarl and growl, but we all try to ignore that and just consider the source.

Comment

Any chance you could make your parts from 303 stainless instead of 304? 304 can be pretty bad to deal with, and a larger milling machine won't improve its qualities any. 303 is nicer to machine.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Welcome and may all your projects be quickly completed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
          Any chance you could make your parts from 303 stainless instead of 304? 304 can be pretty bad to deal with, and a larger milling machine won't improve its qualities any. 303 is nicer to machine.
          Both 303 and 304 are commonly used for putters and I've no preference aesthetically, so 303 would be the better option, thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Messer
            Welcome and may all your projects be quickly completed!!!

Thanks, but this whole start-up was originally going to be a medium-sized milling machine and possibly a welding kit in my shed.

The machines I'm looking at are probably too heavy for the shed............ however, I discovered my heating oil tank is leaking so may need to replace it with a plastic low level tank, in a different location in the garden of course, because the old one is sitting in a bunded concrete based corner, which co-incidentally would allow me to extend my shed to allow a heavier milling machine on a more secure base.

........so I'm thinking a 'real' machine in the form of a used Bridgeport or similar.

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there..... the concrete base under the oil tank won't have a DPM under it so I may have to start-over with a fresh concrete base under a whole new shed/workshop.

I may be ready to take delivery of a milling machine by June or July and even then I won't be able to start experimenting with putter-making until I've made some tools/jigs etc for my designs.

........... but I'm still confident

Comment

What you need is an Alexander Toolmaster which is a Deckel FP1 clone.And it just so happens I have one sitting less than 150 miles away from you. :-)
              Unfortunately it is three phase so you would need to increase the budget for an inverter.
              I`m not a Bridgeport lover but it would do you as would several others,but really you need to look at milling machines and visualise how you would set your job up before buying anything.
              You will also need to look outwith the Aberdeen area as machines make silly money up there.I know where there might be a Bridgeport for sale in the Turriff area.The guy packed up and stored his machines which were a Bridgeport,Colchester Triumph,Bandsaw and I can`t remember if anything else.I don`t know what he`s planning to do with them but I could get you a number for him if you were interested,but even there is too close to Aberdeen to get a bargain.

Comment

Why are machines so expensive in the Aberdeen area? Does the radon gas rot the bases or something?
                Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Machines are expensive,as is everything else in the Aberdeen area because they have had forty odd years of being the oil capitol of the world outside USA.Additionally they are the tightest people in Scotland,almost approaching South Eastern English standards,on top of that everything has had to be trucked in from the south which adds to the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by SGW

304... she's a wh*re
                    303... that's for me!

I forget where I heard that... probably around here someplace. Lot of bright people that don't mind being bugged with pretty much any question you come up with, so don't be shy!

Comment

Working...
                    X