Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keyway fit ???

Hi,

I am making a power lift for my z-axis. I am following what one of the guys on the yahoo mill/drill list did. He took a x-axis lift and adapted it to his z-axis handle.

My question is the how tight a fit should the key way fit be ? I made the adapter shaft out of 12L14 and the gear from the lift is brass. it calls for a
    3 mm key, which is what is in the brass gear. I only had a 3/32 end mill and a 1/8 key. I ground the key down to 3 mm, and put a slot in the adapter as close as I could get it to 3 mm. Right now the fit is very tight, as in bang it in with a rubber hammer. Is this too tight ?

Thanks,
    Kevin

keyway fit

If the assembly is going to stay together and not taken apart in the future then ok, but if you need to take it apart often then gently file the key so that it will tap in with gentle persuasion. Light tap fit. Just my 2c Peter
    The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

'tap in with a rubber mallet' can mean a lot of things, but I'd guess you're right about where you want to be. Numbers-wise, you want a clearance of about .001

you don't want to feel any slop or wiggle when the key is in its seat

Comment

Nice setup Kevin. I may have to do something like that also. It gets old cranking up the head on those machines but otherwise I like the machine fine.
        Jonathan P.

Comment

Originally posted by japcas
          Nice setup Kevin. I may have to do something like that also. It gets old cranking up the head on those machines but otherwise I like the machine fine.
          That's fullbull_223's setup. I am copying him. But, mine looks just like it
          Last edited by KiloBravo; 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X