Leveling Feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leveling Feet

My first real project: leveling feet for my G4003G.

base

Hi,

What did you use for the base of your leveling feet. What is as G4003..lathe..mill?

Comment

It's a 12x36 Lathe

Those are some plastic pads from a set of feet I already had.

Comment

For my G4003G, I used a 5/8" bolt, two washers, and a coupling. About $15 for all eight supports. It seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I removed the plywood when I moved the lathe into the corner. But your pads look really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron of Va
          For my G4003G, I used a 5/8" bolt, two washers, and a coupling. About $15 for all eight supports. It seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I removed the plywood when I moved the lathe into the corner. But your pads look really nice.

That looks really good, too. I just wanted to get as wide a base of support as practical, so I decided not to use the inboard tie down holes and made up the brackets instead. When I discussed it with Grizzly tech support, they were surprised at my concern and said many owners level their lathes that way. I guess living in earthquake country makes me a little paranoid. The plastic feet were part of some 3/4" machine levelers I ordered from MSC when I was planning to use the tie down holes myself. I had to cut the bolts down to fit the openings (which I threaded with a 3/4" tap), then, when I actually got the headstock pedestal put together and on the 3/4" feet, I just thought it might be a little tippy because the feet were so close together, so I changed my plan. Live and learn, I guess. I do like the 5/8" fine thread I ended up with for adjusting the level. The bolts I bought were 3/4x12, which might be a little coarse for fine adjustment. At this point, they are in the scrap bin, but I'm sure I'll find something to do with them.

Comment

Working...
          X