Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SGW
    replied
    Thanks for your search, 10KPete. I much appreciate the effort.

Blaine Hardware initially thought they had some, but when they checked on their stock they were out and couldn't get any more.

It may be time to drill....

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I just measured the holes spacing on mine.
    I got 2 1/16" hole to hole within each piece, and about 15/16 or maybe 7/8 spacing between the holes of the two pieces (i.e. front to back) ... this on my original windows.

But on a window I'd replaced 4 or 5 yrs ago, that front to back spacing is exactly 1". That window came from a local lumber company that does their own sash work. If you have any local (non-chain) lumber yard/building suppliers, it might be worth a check with them.

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Well, I dug through every thing they had and no joy. Tons of stuff for 3/4" but nothing for 1".

Looks like you might want to warm up your hole plugging operation.

Sorry,
    Pete

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Before you spend too much time you might consider drilling out the screwholes to 1/4" and shoving some scored/glued dowels in. Re-drill and mount what you can find for sash locks.

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Originally posted by SGW
    10KPete: Thanks muchly for the offer. I need 6 latches, finish not important, brass or dark would be good. Cheap is good. The general style of McMaster-Carr 1069A2.

lynnl: I may indeed end up plugging the holes. It wouldn't be all that big a deal. My natural laziness, however, makes me hope I can save work and use the existing holes. Somebody took the latches off before we bought the house, and never put them back.
    I'll be going to 'town' on Monday so I'll take a look for you.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    Originally posted by lynnl
    That is a DARN GOOD idea. Wish that'd catch on everywhere.

Is it some kind of cooperative? Or a commercial venture?
    Just a guy and his wife who feel that this sort of thing is good for the community. They are semi-retired and don't feel that folks should have to pay much for this sort of stuff.

Port Townsend is a very different sort of place where folks are quite 'green' and frugal. And sometimes downright strange!

Pete

Leave a comment:

• SGW
    replied
    10KPete: Thanks muchly for the offer. I need 6 latches, finish not important, brass or dark would be good. Cheap is good. The general style of McMaster-Carr 1069A2.

lynnl: I may indeed end up plugging the holes. It wouldn't be all that big a deal. My natural laziness, however, makes me hope I can save work and use the existing holes. Somebody took the latches off before we bought the house, and never put them back.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by 10KPete
    There's an outfit here, called "Waste Not, Want Not" that takes in anything folks want to bring in. Folks around here, a lot of us anyway, don't throw much away, we give things away or take the stuff to WNWN. The folks there charge pennies for that stuff. They've got window hardware up the wazoo dating all the way back to 1870's.

Pete
    That is a DARN GOOD idea. Wish that'd catch on everywhere.

Is it some kind of cooperative? Or a commercial venture?

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Steve, maybe your applications demand otherwise, but I'd just dab some glue on matchsticks or toothpicks, plug up the existing screw holes, and make new holes to match whatever latches you have. ...or can get.

I've had to do that occasionally when a screw stripped the wood out of the hole. Works fine.

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    There's an outfit here, called "Waste Not, Want Not" that takes in anything folks want to bring in. Folks around here, a lot of us anyway, don't throw much away, we give things away or take the stuff to WNWN. The folks there charge pennies for that stuff. They've got window hardware up the wazoo dating all the way back to 1870's.

Next time I'm in town I'll stop and see what they have that might fit your needs. Any excuse to stop in that place!

Are you looking for a particular style, color, finish, etc??

No guarantees!

Pete

Leave a comment:

• SGW
    replied
    I've searched the hardware stores. The 1 15/16" dimension is findable, but nobody has them with 1" between the screw holes in the mating pieces.

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    I just bought some of those at Ace Hardware but I've also seen them at Home Depot and other big box stores.

Leave a comment:

• gourdhedd
    replied
    Check out www.blainewindow.com They have many parts for windows, maybe what you're looking for.

Leave a comment:

• SGW
    started a topic OT: Looking for window sash locks

OT: Looking for window sash locks

We moved into a new house recently. Before we moved in, "somebody" took the sash locks off the upstairs windows, presumably so they could paint, and didn't put them back. I'm trying to find new ones. McMaster-Carr's #1069A2 is close -- the 1 15/16" hole spacing in each piece of the lock is correct -- but the hole spacing BETWEEN the two pieces of the lock is wrong. A query to McMaster-Carr brought back the info that it's 3/4". I need a piece-to-piece hole spacing of 1".

So...packrats that you are, does anybody have some old window sash locks lying around with 1 15/16" x 1" hole spacing that you would be willing to part with? If so, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

P.S. I had some that I'd been hanging onto for years, but when we moved I threw them out. Serves me right.
Working...
X