Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does such a thing exist as a DP vise w/ a magnetic base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does such a thing exist as a DP vise w/ a magnetic base?

I have an old Leland-Gifford DP that has a table that is flat....

I would like to put a vise on it, but cant think of another way... and i cant find a vise that has a mag base, they all are bolt down...

The base does have 1 hole in it, right in the middle...

Just get a mag chuck & use it upside down with a drill press vice bolted direct (or via an adapter plate) to it?
    I'm glad you raised this, I've got a mag chuck I've never used & might try doing just that with it
    Thanks,
    Nick

Comment

I think I'd consider making a fixture plate to go on top of the DP table. It could be clamped in place any number of ways, and could be made with T-slots, tapped holes or other means to connect hold-downs, vises, etc.
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

I used to have a big old delta drill press with a flat table. I kept a milling vise on it but never bolted it down. It was easier to let the vise float to position, and let the mass of the vise + part keep things from getting out of hand.

I've since traded that for a big grizzley DP (not by choice) which has parallel T slots. I still dont bolt down the vise.

Try it for a week or two and see if it doesn't make life that little bit easier.

Comment

Clamping

If you have a mill, why not just put some slots in the drill-press table?

I just use the same method as RobbieKnobbie:

Originally posted by RobbieKnobbie
          I used to have a big old delta drill press with a flat table. I kept a milling vise on it but never bolted it down. It was easier to let the vise float to position, and let the mass of the vise + part keep things from getting out of hand.
          If I really need to bolt or hold something down I will use the vice on the mill, or else use a portable drill on the job held in a bench vice or in my (OZ-made and designed) "Triton "Super Jaws" portable vice:
          http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...eld_earth6.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...eld_earth6.jpg

One of the best innovations ever would have to be "Kant=Twist" clamps. I have several of each size from 1">8" I use them everywhere!!

http://www.clampmfg.com/

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Comment

If it's a flat table, then you can at least runa fence across it to help control the peice you are drilling. The fence can be clamped at the edges.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

You could drill and tap the table in several spots and use a bolt in one of the holes to keep the vise from spinning. The vise can still lift off the table and that can get exciting and I know that first hand. It's best to jump back and let things happen and just keep out of the way.

I run my belts loose unless I clamp the vise down. I still have all my fingers and eyes and plan to keep them untill I die.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by cuemaker
                I have an old Leland-Gifford DP that has a table that is flat....

I would like to put a vise on it, but cant think of another way... and i cant find a vise that has a mag base, they all are bolt down...

The base does have 1 hole in it, right in the middle...
                One method I've seen somewhere it to attach a rod to the base of the vise which is then butted against the LEFT side of the column for drilling. This will keep the vice from spinning if the drill grabs, assuming a right-hand drill. I haven't done exactly that, but when drilling a long piece of stock I position it in a similar manner.

-bill

Comment

I just use c-clamps to clamp my vise in place when I use it...I find it often more versatile than using the T-slots anyway.

Comment

Harbor Freight has a drill press clamp made like a vise-grip with a bolt on one side to fasten through the slots in the table. I've made a v-block on short legs out of 1 1/2" angle with holes drilled in the bottom of the v to clamp stators and other pieces for soldering, drilling or whatever comes next.

Comment

Working...
                    X