$6.5mil Oh S---! moment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $6.5mil Oh S---! moment.

Slight problems with the hoist on that pick.Fun starts at 2:20 in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1A_yFvQdhQ
    I just need one more tool,just one!

"Welcome home honey. How was your day at work?"

Comment

I'll bet the one guy is glad he moved when he did
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

That should buff straight out..LOL
        Precision takes time.

Comment

I bet he had an adrenalin rush going for hours, afters being that close to death.

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
          I'll bet the one guy is glad he moved when he did
          -Dan S.
          dans-hobbies.com

Comment

File to fit, hammer to fair, paint to finish
            --Anonymous Boeing Final Assembly Liason Engineer

Comment

Rush

Originally posted by dan s
              I bet he had an adrenalin rush going for hours, afters being that close to death.
              I'd bet he had a rush of more than Adrenalin!!

Comment

She'll do, tighten her down, job done.

LOL
                If it does'nt fit, hit it.
                https://ddmetalproducts.co.uk
                http://www.davekearley.co.uk

Comment

JB Weld. Haven't tried it yet but should work How the hell is it that you could make/buy something that expensive and not spend a few grand to check out your crane looking for weakness and asking the "what if" questions.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I am assuming that is in the EU somewhere. Can anybody chime in what their crane regs are? In the US the annual inspection should catch anything that is wrong at that point and if I was doing to do a lift like that I would have it inspected just for that lift. $6.5 million reasons for an inspection. New slings, check communications, etc, etc, etc. It looked as though the gent with the portable radio was disgusted with the radio or the response he got. Might have been the camera angle but it also looked as if the slings where a little close on the one end next to the blades. When the crane goes to horizontal movement and you get that least little swing from acceleration, could catch the ends. Once again maybe camera angle.

Then again, once the insurance carrier approves it, "All is good" as my daughter says.

P/R

Comment

I almost had one of those type of things were I worked once. A load worth about $56 million, that weighed about 50 tons.

The company spent weeks certifying the crane for the lift. Test lifted weight that was 100 tons to verify it works.

When the load was picked out of the packing box and lifted, when they lifted it to 75% of the max height, a line decel feature failed, which prevented any more raising of the load.

No big deal, they lowered it down to the box to set it down. Before settling this delicate load in the packing crate, they tested the raise feature. Didn't work at all.

So the load sat suspended 5' above the packing crate for 48 hours. It has to sit precisely in the crate to avoid damage, and they were afraid if they lowered it down and it skewed, they wouldn't be able to raise it to adjust the alignment.

And of course, taking apart the controls for the crane under that kind of load is a bad idea. Finally they just said to heck with it and set it down.

Fortunately it stayed in alignment on the first (and only possible) try.

Bottom line.... none of the certification of the crane had required them to raise the test weight to max height. Whoops. Decel feature (which is designed to slow the lift as it approaches the upper stop) was never tested.

Bet the foreman was looking at a big pay cut... except it was a union shop....

Comment

It does appear that there was some sort of failure, no idea what the yellow broken item was, looks a bit like a dog clutch or coupling.

In any event, the load they were lifting appears to be nowhere near the lifting limit, rotors tend to be much lighter than casings. If they had lifted anything heavier in the recent past, as they probably did, they would have no reason to suspect that such a load as that would be any problem at all. I would assume that they either removed the upper casing, or set the lower one, recently.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                          It does appear that there was some sort of failure, no idea what the yellow broken item was, looks a bit like a dog clutch or coupling
                          I can't tell what that yellow piece is, but it's clearly cast iron, and it fractured under load, so it was a load-bearing element.

You can hear the crane motor straining like Hell for several seconds right before the turbine drops...

If you watch the History channel "Biggest Fixes" show with the irritating host that pretends to be part of the team doing the actual work, they replaced a similar turbine in a nuclear power plant. That repair went much smoother
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Ah, so you had the SOUND on....... I hate sound on computers.... it's just WRONG, so I keep it off.

In any case, it broke......... Wonder why it didn't break when they pulled the casing?

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Load check brake failed,seen that on a drawbridge I worked on once.The brake that is supposed to control rate of descent either didn't work or quit working abruptly.As the load starts back driving the hoist the natural tendency of the operator is to reverse the motor and stop the descent.We can definitely see the back driving in the hoist block coming down after the crash along with a loop of cable.

On the bridge I worked the operator tried to catch the out of control bridge deck by applying lift.That resulted in the brushes of a 40hp DC motor being instantly welded to the commutator.The commutator being shorted at that point twisted on the armature shaft until it bottomed out at which point the brush holder was torn from the motor end bell which promptly exploded.Luckily by that time the bridge had slowed to within limits and safely set back down on it's hard stops.Once the fire was out everything was fine,except for the motor of course
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 03-29-2009, 06:55 PM.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X