Valspar Industrial Enamel - Product Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valspar Industrial Enamel - Product Review

Two thumbs up for "Professional Valspar Industrial Maintenance Enamel". I bought it for my Pacemaker and I have to say this is some awsome paint. It costs the same as Rustoleum, but it out-performs it. The paint is more fluid than Rustoleum, not "thinner" but less viscous. Brush marks don't show up, even when using the crappy disposable chip brushes. You have to be a little careful because it will run everywhere. I started off applying it like Rustoleum and found that it was way too heavy of a coat. It goes on in a thinner coat but leaves a glossy, hard and near indestructable surface!

It has been 8 days since I got a splotch of gray paint on the back of my hand. Since then, my hand has been submersed in gasoline and been exposed to acetone, as well as denatured alcohol. My hands have been covered in grease, oil and grime, been scrubbed with orange cleaner (the kind with the pumice), washed with go-jo and dish detergent. Wonder of wonders, the paint splotch is still on my hand! I hope it comes off soon ...

Fasttrack,
    I have used other Valspar products, but not their paint yet. Actually I wasn't aware they made a lower priced paint. This is good information thanks for posting. Now are you going to post some pics of your paint job?
    Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

Comment

I haven't finished it yet. The lathe is on my BIL's farm, about 3 hours from me. Between work and classes, I don't have alot of time to work on my lathes. This is how far I have gotten though:

Before:

After:

Comment

Fast,I can spit and hit the Valspar plant from here.

Good paint BTW,it isn't two part by any chance?Some of the urethane's are nasty on the lungs,so be careful.
        Last edited by wierdscience; 03-31-2009, 11:00 PM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
          Since then, my hand has been submersed in gasoline and been exposed to acetone, as well as denatured alcohol. My hands have been covered in grease, oil and grime, been scrubbed with orange cleaner (the kind with the pumice), washed with go-jo and dish detergent. Wonder of wonders, the paint splotch is still on my hand! I hope it comes off soon ...
          Fasttrack - do your body a favor, and buy some nitrile gloves. If you work w/ nasty stuff for a living, it's really worth minimizing skin contact.

Yup - industrial paints are are better than the mass market stuff.

-= Bart
          Bart Smaalders
          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Fasttrack,

What retailer did you purchase it from, inquiring minds want to know?
            -Dan S.
            dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Read this post so thought I would google valspar etc and google has picked this post already - so the forum fame is speading far and wide!!

Peter
              I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Valspar source

Dan S, Around here ( N. IL) Farm & Fleet carries it, don't know if they are down your way or not. Regards, Earl

Comment

Yep - I picked mine up at a "Blaine's Farm and Fleet". I suspect other farm and home type stores might carry it, too.

Comment

I have used the stuff a lot including my Bridgeport restore. It's available under another label (BPS or Best Paint Sold) at Tractor Supply stores too. I would agree that its top notch and much better than several others I have used including Rustoleum enamel.

Two recommendations: They make a hardener that will make the stuff quite hard. The hardener also makes the paint flow *really* nicely. The little can goes in a gallon as I recall, but you will have to do some math to figure out the ratio to make small batches. Once hardener is added that paint will be done for in just a while so don't make a big batch. You will know when its time to quit painting with it too...you can see it start to cure and flow will change. Quit at that point and don't try smoothing out what will soon be paste. They instruct you to stir the stuff in off and on over a half-hour before beginning to paint. I assume its to start the reaction going.

Another tip is to use Naptha as a thinning agent when brushing. It doesn't take much, but the paint flows *really* nicely and dries with a higher gloss.....much like the effect from the hardener, too. I found that Mineral spirits, on the other hand tended to turn it more matte finish and it did not flow as well.

Paul
                    Paul Carpenter
                    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Paul,

do you know if it can sprayed if you thin it?
                      -Dan S.
                      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

While I have not sprayed it, the can directions indicated that it can be sprayed as I recall. I guess I never even questioned that *any* enamel would spray, but I suppose some will not?

On the other hand, this is not a great automotive enamel and I would tend to think it may be better sprayed at a moderately thick consistency like an HVLP gun will allow for.

Paul
                        Paul Carpenter
                        Mapleton, IL

Comment

I haven't used the industrial paint yet, but Valspar tractor paint is excellent. Thanks for the review. I'll give it a try.
                          Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
                            On the other hand, this is not a great automotive enamel and I would tend to think it may be better sprayed at a moderately thick consistency like an HVLP gun will allow for.
                            that's what I got.
                            -Dan S.
                            dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I just wanted to give a little update on something I asked a little earlier in this thread.

Valspar Anti-rust "Maintenance enamel" can be sprayed, if you thin it down. The can says not to thin it, but I've gotten excellent results by thinning it with Naphtha.

The attached photo is a length of flat bar that I sprayed using an HVLP gun.

-Dan S.
                              dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Working...
                              X