Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloris and clone sizes

Hi All,
    Well I am saving up to buy a quick change tool holder for my Monarch 16C. The lathe has a 16" swing, so my first guess was to get a CXA size. Then I measured from the top of the compound to the spindle center and it is only 1.8750", so I am thinking a BXA would work. The BXA might make it easier to get into corners and its cheaper also. Any of you have a similar size lathe or an opinion that would help me?
    Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

Is this genuine or a clone? Genuine holders for CXA should handle a 1" holder (Yuasa etc), clones seem to be 3/4". That Monarch probably would like the rigidity of the 1" but you have to be able to get to centerline for it to work, rake helps. I was running into the same problems on a similar size lathe where it was really close to being not able to run the CXA and choose to go with the bigger beef, I'll shave where I have to........the bulk of my holders are 1".

Edit: I see Genuine Aloris holders are 3/4" opening for CXA, 5/8" for BXA, 1" for CA, I have seen 1" for the CXA unmachined or unaltered, if you have adobe pdf and a high speed connection to download Aloris has a good site on all their info, Monarch 16 lists CA as the recommended post but that seems a bit big for 1.875"......

They also list the stud sizing for your Tslot if that helps........
    Last edited by hardtail; 04-01-2009, 07:50 PM.
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Hi Jay,

I have a 17 inch LeBlond and I am using a Phase 2 BXA wedge type post and I have not had any problems. I have taken some VERY heavy cuts and all went well. I suspect that in some instances the BXA post might not really be rigid enough for some people, but I can get reliable and repeatable operations to .0005 or better if I am careful and try really hard .

Robin
      Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Hardtail,
        I have not bought anything yet. I have not been able to bring up or find the page at Aloris that shows the dimensions. I'm not sure what is going on there? I think that using this lathe at it's higher cut rate, a person would want a 1" tool holder. I would probably be good with 3/4" , but as you say the height is short and without the dimensions I am kind of stuck. A friend brought by a BXA, when the top of the slot for the tool is even with the center line, the tool holder is at mid way on the post or just above mid way. I think the next size up is going to be to big? Post a link for the PDF file if you would.
        Tanks for all the replies, Jay

Comment

Here you go. Top of the page right click and save as works for me.
          http://www.aloris.com/index.php?page_id=1

Comment

I was fortunate and able to borrow a buddy's CXA for a test fit, mine has this funky quick release system mounted on top of the cross slide for quick tool retraction during threading etc that probably amounts to between 3/8 to 1/2" height loss. I had thought I was going to have to remove it to use the QC but if I drop everything down as low as it will go with a 1" holder I'm right at centerline so with a little massaging I'll make it work.

I just ordered the CXA for Matt at qualitymachinetools and it should be here next week. If you can wait til then I can give you more detailed measurements if you can't get them off Aloris's site.
            Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Thanks for the link Clinton. I got it to work when I finally clicked the right button.

Hardtail, I can wait. I will have some questions. I am going to PM you so we can do some info exchange through email if that's alright. Save space here. As far as I can tell, it will be nip and tuck to get a CXA to work. The BXA will probably be fine and if need be I can modify some holders to fit with larger shanks. This lathe has the capabilities of massive metal removal rates, which I will seldom use I imagine, but I hate to be limited also or shoot myself in the foot so to say.

Jay

Comment

Working...
              X