OT, Victory style garden, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by v860rich
    Ripe/ripening fruit gives off ethylene gas that can stimulate the ripening process.
    I've never heard of picking citrus fruit green. Are you sure that would work?
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

• Wholesome food - not from the food mercenaries.

Hi Allan. I would follow Richs' advice but only harvest half.
      My thinking is that there looks to still have half the bark, probably enough to carry nutrients to the fruit but not all of that crop on the broken limb. Prune some of the foliage also.
      Part-ripe fruit will not have the nutrient value of fully ripe stuff(it has to run its full course AFAIK) but if the owner gets there before you do, there will be no nutrient value at all for you
      If the owner lets it be, there could be the chance of a small crop of fully ripened Mother Natures blessing available.
      Ken.

Comment

• Originally posted by aostling
        I've never heard of picking citrus fruit green. Are you sure that would work?
        I know it works with other fruit, never tried lemons, but it's very cheap to try.

As speedy and I said try it with a few and see how it works for you.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

• sorrel

Today a friend sent me a photo of her garden in Wellington, New Zealand. This reminded me that when I lived there in the 1970s I had use of my landlord's garden, and one of its greens was sorrel. I used this weekly to make a great sauce for fish. I had never heard of sorrel until I moved to New Zealand. Now I cannot find it for sale in any American markets, and I find this lack perplexing.

Do you grow sorrel in your garden? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorrel
          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
          X