OT, Victory style garden, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Victory style garden, advice?

I know how to turn a wrench.. know how to light a torch.

I just started a victory garden, the old egg cartons (3) to start with, planted some tomato and green pepper seeds.. the egg cartons, well when you go to transplant them, you just take a thumb and pop the clod of dirt from the egg cradle into your hand and plant it.. (don't ask where I learned that)

any suggestions? I am ringing my fence here with climbing plants.. maybe plant some Other things.. what all is easy to grow and harvest? squash?

While grampa was raising a splendid garden each year, I was chasing split tails and riding hawgs.. wish I had paid more attention.. I did tune his tiller so it ran better than it ever had before.. he bragged on that till his death.. the first year he didn't raise a garden he died.. his reason to continue..

Any advice, bury fish with it? poke a hole in the ground with a stick like the old indians did??
    Excuse me, I farted.

Visit your local garden store. They can tell you what will grow best in your area.
    Gene

Comment

Don't bother planting things that are always available and cheap to buy. Potatos usually fall in that category. On the other hand tomatos are usually fairly expensive. Where you live a good tomato patch can be an annual crop. A lot of people don't know that tomatos will grow year over year as long as they don't get frozen. Those peppers you have will take a long time to produce, they are a late season crop. Zuchinni is a super fast and easy plant to grow and a couple of plants will give you enough zukes to make bread and still have fresh veggies. Pumpkin is always good if you like pumpkin pie but it's one of those crops that is usually too cheap to bother with.

All the cabbage family are easy to grow but you have to watch out for the European Cabbage Looper larvae. They can be controlled using BTK organic pesticide. Buy the smallest amount you can find and then culture your own in skim milk. It's a bacterium that is totally harmless except to the lepidoptra family.

I like beans and peas. Nothing tastes better than fresh off the vine green peas in butter. For the maximum food value in terms of essential amino acids you cannot beat beans of any type combined with corn. You can't live on either one alone but when you combine beans and corn they together contain all the essential amino acids that meat contains. You can eat a perfectly healthy vegetarian diet if it includes enough beans and corn.
      Last edited by Evan; 04-01-2009, 08:06 PM.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan my wife brought home "cherry" tomato seeds last night.. I told her they were good to shoot in a slingshot...

I planted two dozen tomato plants today. Zucchini sounds interesting.. we eat a lot of it too..

Not got a big spot, so.. I am not sure I need a tiller or? There was two or more dead tillers up my moms homeplace.. I may bring home one.. It'll have to be gone though I am sure thou.. I sat on a block unsticking a valve on a 60's craftsman tiller.. when I got done you should have seen her eyes when it ran.. It was funny..

I ho'ed for about a half hour today.. I'm a ho'er from way back I guess. *cousin quote.. she has gone on to the next world with cancer. bless her. Some guy stopped his car and told her to put that hoe down she didn't know what she was doing.. that was her reply.. then she got redfaced and went inside embarrassed..
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

A lot depends on what you like to eat that isn't subject to local animals. Deer, raccoons, rabbits and woodchucks can eat stuff faster than you can raise it so a good fence is a requirement for most vegetable gardens. You can't really fence raccoons out; the only solution I've found is to choose crops they don't like - I can't raise corn or muskmellon because of them.

Then there are the insect pests. These tend to be local so a gardener in your area would be the best source on what to watch out for. In my area, squash borers are a problem that require spray - something I don't like to do so I use only about a quart of spray per year, applied with an old Fantastic spray bottle. This works because I know the date (within a couple days) when the moths will appear here so I can target them very specifically. Similarly with cucumber beetles - if I don't spray, the beetles spread a wilt that kills all the plants very quickly. Beans don't have insects here but may in your area. Beets grow without problems here as does Swiss Chard.

Use caution on how much of things you plant initially, most people plant more than they will consume so plan on giving some produce away. A half dozen swiss chard plants is enough for us, a 15 foot row of beets is about right, similar for bush beans, 6 squash plants, 8 tomato plants, a couple basil plants, etc. Plants need to be farther apart than you might expect - summer squash needs 5 feet between plants, for example. It takes some experimenting to determine how much of each to raise. Our neighbors are generally helpful in taking the excess although it's possible to sort of wear out your welcome if you have a bumper crop...

Many people tire of gardening because of the effort needed to weed. I don't weed much because I compost all our leaves and grass clippings directly on the garden. This provides a continuous mulch which controls weeds. When leaves are gathered in the fall, after frost kills the garden, the mulch is 2 feet deep but is only about 6 inches by spring. Rake it back to access the soil to plant, pull it back around the plants when they're tall enough. No need to turn the soil over (Mother Nature didn't intend that anyway). I add a bag of lime (for 1000sqft) each year to counteract the acid from all the compost. The mulch keeps the soil moisture relatively constant in summer and provides food for the plants as it decays. Weeding takes about an hour a week so most of the work is picking the vegetables.

John
          Newtown, CT USA

Comment

Never forget the barter system. I swap grapes to my neighbor for tomatoes, he lovingly raises the best tomatoes, and he loves my grapes.

TC

Comment

Plant some yellow squash and onions. The onions are super easy and fresh tastes 10x better than store bought, and a couple of squash plants will feed a family of 4 for a couple of months if you keep the bugs off (seven dust works wonders there). I plant a bunch of tomatoes, squash, onions, and peppers and usually give half away to neighbors because fresh veggies make up for some of the crap I put them through with my machinery habits.

Comment

(seven dust works wonders there

Material Safety Data Sheet

MSDS Number: 102000001927
                SEVINĀ® XLR CARBARYL INSECTICIDE LIQUID
                SUSPENSION
                MSDS Version 2.1

Ingestion

Harmful if swallowed. This product causes reversible cholinesterase inhibition.
                Repeated overexposure may cause more severe cholinesterase inhibition with
                more pronounced symptoms. May lead to rapid onset of nausea, vomiting,
                diarrhea, abdominal pain, involuntary shaking, excess salivation, pinpoint pupils, blurred vision, profuse sweating, temporary paralysis, respiratory depression, and convulsions.

(note: These are the same symptoms as from exposure to nerve gas. That is not a coincidence.)

Inhalation

Harmful if inhaled. Do not breathe vapours or spray mist. May produce symptoms similar to those from ingestion.

Chronic or Delayed Long-Term

This product is not listed by NTP, IARC or regulated as a carcinogen by OSHA.
                This product or its components may have target organ effects.

Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure

Inhalation of product may aggravate existing chronic respiratory problems such as asthma, emphysema or bronchitis. Skin contact may aggravate existing skin disease.

Potential Environmental Effect

Highly toxic to bees. Extremely toxic to aquatic and estuarine invertebrates.

Sevin is a neurotoxin. It is a component of some nerve gas formulations. I personally think that all such pesticides should be taken off the market for sale to the general public. They should only be available for sale to a trained and licensed applicator and even then there are some such as Sevin that shouldn't be used at all. It kills pollinators on contact and is highly toxic to all type of aquatic life. It is a sterilant type of poison as it can kill any type of life form.

Comment

supper

Just finished supper..home grown squash , tomato and kale soup with a couple of pork chops the neighbor raised. Can't be beat. Oh yeah..home made corn bread.

What you grow depends on your zone..if you live in the southern states you can grown pretty much whatever you like. Green beans are pretty much fool proof..even in Minnesota we always get a crop. Kale is another fool proof vegetable..so are collards, beets and onions. Your biggest problem will probably be insects. I don't like to use chemicals so I use floating row covers..kind of expensive but works well. Evan's advice on spuds is mostly right on..spuds usually can be found for cheap and those damn potato bugs are hard to control.

gaget builders advice on mulch is good..good for the soil, keeps weeds down and helps conserve water.

Planting is fun, weeding is satisfying but putting your produce by is a lot of hard work..freezing, canning etc.

WE doubled the size of our garden this year..our goal is to be self sufficient in vegetables.

Comment

Zucchini is easy,if you can't grow that give up.In the kind of weather we have down here if it rains in the afternoon,go out and pick the Zucchini,if not by morning it will be ball bat sized

Yellow squash is also easy,just keep it a row or two away from the Zucchini,some of it will cross breed with less than spectacular results.

G90 corn is good,sweet potatos,they climb even on fences.Field peas,they will feed you and feed the soil too.

When I plant corn I add in a few acorn and butternut squash in the rows.The corn gives them shade and the squash vines keep the weeds down once the corn is up above knee level.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

They got an ad on TV about the hanging garden and I think that's what we're going to do. Going to take some 5 gallon bucket, drill about 4 3" holes in the side, fill them with dirt and plant vine type plants in the holes.

The hurdle was keeping the plants from getting scarred on the rough edge of the hole but I got that problem licked. I'll take some plastic type tubing from the hardware and slit it half way through lengthwise and put it around the rough edge of the hole.

We are thinking of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and any other viney plants we can think of. Plan to mount about 4 or 5 buckets about 6 feet off the ground frow pipe structure. This means no bugs from teh ground getting on it and much easier to tend as no bending over.

One tip I heard that worked for me was when planting tomatoes to always plant three different species. The bugs will choose which one to devour and leave the others alone. We planted 6 plants each of three diffferent spieces of tomatoes and one entire row of the same spiecies got absolutly trashed with bugs and worms. The other 12 plants were perfect even though they were right next to the bad ones?

Another tip was to put a few match heads into the hole with your pepper seeds as they like plenty of sulphur.

Here's one more. When your tomatoe plants start to blum, mix up a gallon of water to two tablespoons of common old time remedy for soaking your feet in, Epsom Salts from the drug store. This will "harden off" the blums and not make them so susceptible to wind and driving rain drops. If they fall off, you get no fruit. It works
                      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-01-2009, 11:13 PM.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

One trick that works well is to plant when a wall will reflect sun onto the plant; we had tomatoes until it froze (December) one year in San Jose, CA. Use mulch to cut down on weeding; if you have old manure that will help as well.
                        Bart Smaalders
                        http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Don't forget to stagger your planting. If you plant two dozen tomato plants today, they will all come ripe at the same time. It is better to plant a couple plants every week or so. Same for most other vegetables.
                          Jim H.

Comment

Grew up in New York State on a truck farm (vegtables and such)in the40's&50's sprayed the crops with DDT and the likes and I'm 62 and gaining. Dad quit farming in '65 and I never had no kind of sickness until pop quit farming. Bought all this new food with preservitives after that and started getting colds, flu and the likes after that. Take me back to the old way and I would be happier and healther for it. Raw milk, fresh veggies & real work makes you a much better person.

Comment

DDT isn't particularly toxic to humans. It was banned because it caused all kinds of birds to fail to produce eggs with thick enough shells for the chicks to survive. If we had continued to use it it would have wiped out the top birds in the food chain, mostly the raptors such as the eagles and falcons.

Comment

Working...
                              X