Drying Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying Paint

I've painted some model engine parts, and the weather here sucks right now. I have a toaster oven in the shop and thinking I could speed up the drying. But before I over cook my parts I thought I would get some info from the many knowledgeable experts on this form.
    Wal-Mart Krylon paint

What say you:

How warm and how long??
    Gary Davison
    Tarkio, Mo.

Too hot. You'll end up with bubbles. You need to dry slowly enough to allow the solvent to evaporate without disturbing the paint film. I don't like to go much over 90 degrees. Lower humidity makes a big difference. I'd just put a light bulb in a box to make a drying cabinet. That little extra heat will lower the humidity and make drying a lot faster.

Comment

Your dealing with Alkyd enamel, not really a baking paint as per say. You'd be better off with an infrared light. But as Bob says it's the moister in the air that is causing the long dry time. If it were me, I'd set the parts in the same room as a forced air furnace or wood stove etc..

Comment

Gary, just did something like that. Spray painted with Rustoleum rattle can paint and baked at 140 deg F. for couple of hours.

Put the parts in tin can with piece of metal on top of can as a lid so there was move even temperature and no hot areas from the radiant heat from the heating elements. Lid just sat on top so vapors could escape.

Some colors like red change there color a little from baking. Baking makes for a tough hard coating but might be more prone to chipping from being more brittle. gary

Comment

Ovens - domestic radiant cooking ovens are pretty bad at low temperatures. Convection is what you really want. AS mentioned earlier, the radiant energy will blister the paint and even covered give irregular results.

Having been caught using the wifes oven a few times....

My convection paint dryer/curer is a little redneck. I use one of those small fan cube ceramic heaters. Cut a hole in the side of a large cardboard box (I have one 3x3x4!), and put a BQ digital temperature fork into the box top. I vary the open slot in the top buy moving a slab of wood (where the flaps would seal) to regulate temperature. Works great.

Most a rattle cans - I use a max of 160F and let it cool before handling.

Preheating to about 100F before priming (my garage was about 37F..)

The temperature monitor...

Primied and top coats - "automotive" rattle can paint

Comment

Gary,
            I have warmed the parts before painting. Maybe 110 deg. or so, that seemed to help. Light bulb in the cabinet sounds good to me.
            Jay
            "Just build it and be done"

Comment

You want to watch out with the heating....... let it dry out first, then hit it.

If you don't you may cure the top layer over uncured paint, which will be sealed off from the air. If it needs oxygen to crosslink, it may take longer to dry after heating....

if you let it flash off and get to the cheese/tacky state, heating is less likely to cause trouble. Dunno about pre-heating, that might depend on the paint type.

Thin coats...... 3 thin coats dry better than one thick, and faster.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

i do alot of painting and staining and varnishing as well , anyhow as many know i have a only an 8x12 shop so i paint my stuff in the basement in my house the basment is not really well heated but anyhow paint htem there and take them out to the shop hang them up in the shop, i have a 1500 watt ceramic heater in there pus the light bulbs are all 60 watts and so she gets pretty hot in there i let the sutff site over night and there ready to go by morrning,,

the walmart krylon paint is fast drying but it still takes 24 hours for full cure

Comment

Thanks for all the good advise.
                  Gary Davison
                  Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Working...
                  X