Gear reduction motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear reduction motors

If you need a powerful slow motor for some project it's a buyers market on fleabay for right angle drills. Dozens of Milwaukee right angle drills. I just got a Porter Cable because it was variable speed for less than $80.00. Looks like a Z axis lift to me. If you never met a Milwaukee Hole Hawg you don't know what you are missing. You might get a cast (UK plaster) on your favorite arm before you start and save the trouble later.

I once borrowed one of those Milwaukee right angle drills for a long time to do a bunch of wiring, and was sorry to have to return it. Unfortunately, the owner was an actual friend, the sort of person to whom I couldn't lie and say "what drill?" I might have to look into this. But in the meantime, just to keep things clear for those unacquainted with the breed, the "Hole Hawg" is not a right angle drill, but a heavy duty gear reduction drill with all the gearing in-line, though it is built very short for between-joist clearance. I consider this the ne plus ultra of hand drills, but your caution is well taken. The torque is prodigious. I think you could dig post holes with it if you could fit an earth auger into the chuck. I would not recommend ever using this beast one-handed, or without the side handle.

Comment

ne plus ultra of hand drills

While I do have Milwaukee (1/2 inch, 7.5amp, 120 volt, 300 RPM) "Hole Hawg" in my tool pile, but:

I also have a Black & Decker (go ahead and laugh) 3/4 inch, 10 amp, 115 volt, 375 RPM) CAT. NO. 644 Standard Drill. The drill has an all metal case with no ground (original plug was the "bareface" style, no wired to a GFCI). Being "careless" with this B&D hand drill will "weed out the weak ones" with no remorse.

I have the drill mated to a B&D No. 60 Bench Drill Stand. Needless to say any metal part that needs a "non-precision" hole placed in it gets the "644" treatment.
      Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

[QUOTE=TECHSHOP]
        I also have a Black & Decker (go ahead and laugh) 3/4 inch, 10 amp, 115 volt, 375 RPM) CAT. NO. 644 Standard Drill. The drill has an all metal case with no ground (original plug was the "bareface" style, no wired to a GFCI). Being "careless" with this B&D hand drill will "weed out the weak ones" with no remorse.

I will vouch for that. Several years ago a bunch ot these turned up on the local market. I am near Fort Hood and I think they were used to run jacks on the tank trailers or something like that. I bought one for like $25 at a garage sale. Works great but it has hung and slapped me silly a couple of times. You learn to respect its power.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
        X