Printer Rod Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Rod Material

I had read a post about retrieving thr steel rods from inside junk printers and when my printer died I removed them. They are magnetic and have a nice shiney finish and machine beautifully!
    Any ideas what alloy this might be?

I have a stash from a 70's era Xerox office machine. Agree about the machining aspect.

As near as I can ascertain, after asking more knowledgeable folks than me, the metal could be SAE 416 stainless.

Geoff

Comment

And better yet, what to use them for? I too have a stash of them that just seemed to nice to throw out

Comment

I've been collecting the rods along with the linear bearings that come with them. Eventually I'll make a nice little jig for a sliding head of some sort. Possibly a nice pantograph type tracing engraver.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I have used these as well.

I can tell you that they will rust! I was quite surprised to find this out.

Comment

I think Evan said they are dead flat and make good sraight rods for testing your lathe bed and such. That's what I use the one I have for and it works well. Keep it with my measuring tools. It rolls perfect on my surface plate.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

From the way these rods machine, my guess is they're similar to 1144 stressproof. The price is right so I use them for lots of things.

John

Comment

I've been collecting shalfts from printers and copiers for years... yes,., great stuff.. The USA printers have ground Imperial shafts and the imports (Japanese) metric. Nice to get a ground metric shafts measuring 12.00mm and imperial 0.06250 without paying for them!

My guess is most of what I have is a 400 series stainless...

Comment

I also have kept a few of these rods as they seem to be nice quality and should be good for something...someday

related: not trying to Hijack here, if anyone has a use for any of the printer carcass shown below I could put it in a mailing box and send it USPS to the lower 48 only. It is from a OkiData Okipage or something like that. The electronics were good when I stopped using it, the toner was just leaking.

PM me.

regards

3t

Comment

They machine like leaded steel which is probably what they are. They need to be quickly and easily machinable to a very good finish in production. Leaded steel is exempt from ROHS as long as it doesn't contain more than 3% lead, which it doesn't.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                    X