Surface grinder in Columbus Ohio - sorta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface grinder in Columbus Ohio - sorta

I am not affiliated with the company, they have treated me right, your mileage may vary, don't eat yellow snow, don't run with scissors, etc.

I was down at Stargate Metals on Goodale yesterday to buy some plate for a welding table and I noticed something.

Are the kids watching? Might want to cover their eyes.

In the back, there was a grinder sitting on its side. I was a good 40 yards away so the details are sketchy. Cast iron base and pillar, guard and hand wheels still on it. Bed didn't look as though it had been knocked off and still looked like it was in proper position.

Maybe a 9 x 12?

If you want to rescue it I would say you would need to get down there by Monday or Tuesday. They sell to the public and prices are not bad.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Originally posted by rockrat
    <snip>
    They sell to the public and prices are not bad.

rock~
    What does Stargate Metals sell other than plate? I've been looking for a local supplier that doesn't mind dealing with the home shop / hobby market.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike
      What does Stargate Metals sell other than plate? I've been looking for a local supplier that doesn't mind dealing with the home shop / hobby market.
      At least one surface grinder it sounds like to Me , acording to Rockrat .

Steve

Comment

They have a bit of everything. And there is a place next to it called Research Alloys Co, they may be owned by the same fellow.

Stargate - I have seen there, sheet and plate, angle, bar, tube, square, diamond plate, parts, milling cutters, little special machines.

I saw a power press yesterday, fairly big.

They have a little bit of everything but not a bunch of anything specific. They are a scrap dealer and you never know what they will have.

Do what I did, wander down there, introduce yourself, tell them that you are looking for x and as they walk you back, ask to look around. Jamie is the fellow that I have dealt with.

rock~

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out.

I lucked into about 350 lbs of various aluminum mfg 'scrap' today. Some as small as 2" x 2" x 4" but many pieces 2-3 feet long. The price was right (paid by weight) and they threw in about 250 lbs of mild steel mostly small chucks of plate and some round but better than nothing.

Comment

I thought I was Reasearch Alloys best customer, work just up the street. How have I been missing Stargate? Where is it?
            mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Originally posted by Mcostello
              I thought I was Research Alloys best customer, work just up the street. How have I been missing Stargate? Where is it?
              Yea, I have yet to figure this all out as well. Research Alloys is listed at 799 Goodale and Stargate is listed as 801 Goodale. It might well be all the same. To be honest, I thought that I was at Research till I got a receipt and it said Stargate. Now I have to run back down there Monday for something different and I need to look and see whats up.

The way that the area is all set up now makes me wonder if I need to turn the corner and head down the back of the gray building nextdoor.

In the end, neither place is on Goodale really, the have to be on either Edgeworth or Swan. But I'm guessing that since Goodale is a well known road, thats how they listed the address, or since the place down there has been rebuilt a bit, the new layout has opened up some new roads and sometimes the post office will allow a company to keep its old address when an alley once serving the company turns into a named road.

A photo

rock~

Comment

Clean out your mailbox rock.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Clean out your mailbox rock.
                  Thanks, done. Please try again.

Comment

Research Alloys and Stargate Metals are the same place. Stargate is their retail, sell to people off the street end of the business. Research is the buy pallets and pallets of swarf from mfg companies end of the business. Stargate started a few years ago, I think to cater to the walk-ins like us.

Research/Stargate is my FAVORITE place to go shopping. 4' high units of 4'x12' polished aluminum treadplate, check. Racks full of aluminum and stainless sections, check. Rack full of smalls (inside the main building, to the right of the big overhead door), check. The list goes on...I even got a big bag full of 1/2" titanium bolts and 1/4" titanium U-bolts a few years ago.

Joe, the owner, is a very nice guy, and really knows what he's got. If you can't find it, ask, they'll know if it's there.

I was there last week and got several aluminum angles and a bunch of square steel tubing. Aluminum was $1.50-ish per pound and steel was about $0.20 per pound.
                    Mike P
                    1919 13" South Bend Lathe
                    1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

Research Alloys

Can someone give me some direction to Research Alloys? I would be coming down I71 from the north.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ticticdoc
                        Can someone give me some direction to Research Alloys? I would be coming down I71 from the north.

Thanks
                        Well,

I71 south to 270 west
                        270 west to 315 south
                        315 south to Goodale Blvd west
                        Drive under the railroad overpass and look to the left for a gray building.
                        Turn left (south onto Edgeworth St) and drive down this road to the sheet metal building with all the scrap around it. The office is there with the scale.

Or, go to Google, click on the maps link, type your start address and then type the end address of
                        799 Goodale Blvd. Columbus Ohio

Comment

Thanks Rockrat

I was going to Google map it but there were three different streets listed and I wasn't sure which street to use.

Thanks Again

Comment

Working...
                          X