South Bend has a new owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend has a new owner

I saw a note over on the small engines board pointing to this thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=177783 on the PM board.

We may as well discuss it here, too.

In brief, the owner of Grizzly has bought South Bend from Leblond and is coming out with a new line of SB machinery...based on the original SB designs. He promises SB quality. Follow through that thread; there are several posts by the owner of Grizzly explaining exactly what his plans are.

If he can really do it, it sounds good.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

I wonder if Rong Fu is making the new lathes...

Comment

They're being made in Taiwan. (Not mainland China.)
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

What you will get is a South bend clone, made to a price , (which is what HSM ers would part with ) so time will tell if you get "South Bend " quality.

sorry cant get all warm and fuzzy over this.

Comment

I'd welcome an alternative to the ubiquitous ChiCom 9x20.

Comment

Nobody can make a business of making a lathe the way it was made in the 1930s ,40s and 50s. The definition of South Bend Quality must change. In what way remains to be seen. One of the most likely victims will simply be the mass. The SB9 model C with 3 foot bed, which is the lightest of the three 9 inch Workshop lathes, shipped at just over 450 lbs which included no chucks.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well I said the magic words Rong Fu on PM and like magic, my post was deleted. You gotta be kidding me! The insanity is such that it has become hilarious.

Comment

When you play in Don's sandbox you have to abide by his rules. Just wait until Indian machinery becomes common over here and he will try to get your isp to cancel your account.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Nobody can make a business of making a lathe the way it was made in the 1930s ,40s and 50s.
                  What I find interesting is that the SB9 in its heyday cost, IIRC, around $700 new, at a time when a good new car could be had for around two grand. This makes me wonder about how the typical HSM back then was different than he is today. I wonder if they were higher income or maybe had fewer hobbies to spread money across. I know more than a few guys who easily have 10-15k of skiing, golf, fishing, boating, etc. equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
                    I saw a note over on the small engines board pointing to this thread http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=177783 on the PM board.

We may as well discuss it here, too.

In brief, the owner of Grizzly has bought South Bend from Leblond and is coming out with a new line of SB machinery...based on the original SB designs. He promises SB quality. Follow through that thread; there are several posts by the owner of Grizzly explaining exactly what his plans are.

If he can really do it, it sounds good.
                    Did they ship all the machinery to China

Comment

Fare thee well - new SB

If I recall correctly, until recently at least, SB was getting a lot of stuff made in "China" and branding it as SB. There didn't seem to be much concern about that at the time as I recall.

A lot of the discussion has been to do with having it made in the US - which is understandable - but there has been little or no comment about "jobs" in the US or the conditions, rates, benefits, "prospects" etc. nor skill levels etc.

It could (would/will??) be that a whole lot more, if not most, today, will be automated to the extent that skilled help will be at a minimum.

It will be a "buyers market" for those wanting labour and manufacturing capacity. The competition will be desperate and cut-throat as the "buyer" can pick the eyes out of what-ever labour and capacity there is - and get rid of it just as easily as there is going to be quite a queue of the willing and desperate at the door.

There are going to be a lot of "buyers" sharpening their edges and a lot of "sellers" sharpening their pencils.

If a seller of product can find and fill a niche profitably they are in a good position of strength and leverage all round.

There is a lot of hopelessness and desperation about and of people clutching at straws. And it seems it won't get much better anytime soon.

I am NOT saying that the new owners of SB are considering doing ANY of this but they'd be silly to think that none of their potential competitors were not at least thinking about it.

Putting lots of any manual machines into lots of school/college shops is not likely to happen. Putting computerised manufacture certainly is - read CNC and CAD etc.

A lot of what may happen in a CNC/NC-ed machine can be pretty well simulated - as can many other things in ways not even dreamed about not so long ago.

I realise that there will always be a need for skilled help such as machinists, Tool and Die Makers etc. but they will be a progressively reducing number both in %-age and absolute terms. Many will be not much more than machine/process minders/workers - and there may well be more of them than there are worthwhile jobs for them.

In would guess that many who buy SB will be SB fans or hobbyists or older people in small niche businesses.

I would be interested to see how many competitive businesses buy the "manual" machines. I can understand mechanics, technicians and technologists and small jobbing shops buying them - or even the maintenance and development department shops in larger manufacturers enterprises.

If any machine falls into the "discretionary" spending category, it will need to be pretty good value for money else it may not be bought at all as people are going to be much more careful with what-ever dollars they have.

If they have ready cash or finance.

Personal or business credit - if available, and if so on what terms and conditions - may be another "dampener" as well.

I wish the new SB well.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyD
                        When you play in Don's sandbox you have to abide by his rules. Just wait until Indian machinery becomes common over here and he will try to get your isp to cancel your account.

Paula reigns over that little piece of the sandbox...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
                          Did they ship all the machinery to China
                          Nah, the last South Bends were apparently made in Australia by Hercus..

These ones are being made by an undisclosed Taiwanese manufacturer which will mean they could be very good quality, but they will still be expensive compared to the likes of the cheap chinese stuff...
                          Precision takes time.

Comment

If you are interested in what Grizzly's plans are for SB, just visit the thread mentioned in the first post above. Shiraz Balolia, the owner of Grizzly, is taking a very active part in the thread and he is asking SB users for ideas. He goes by the name PapaGrizzly on the board.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Leadership

I've read the thread on PM and am not the least impressed with the negative comment.

First and foremost, Shiraz Balolia aka PapaGrizzly is a pretty shrewd and successful business man and not necessarily or primarily a philanthropist. So I expect that he has really run the rule over this enterprise and expects to make a good return on his investment in SB. It would be very good business to encourage and promote SB, all of which will be tax-deductible, and no doubt actively encouraged either actively or passively by the US Government which is really looking for investors, investment, jobs and increases in manufacturing an business confidence.

If I recall previous posts on this forum, Shiraz Balolia or his family have interests in if not out-right ownership of BusyBee in Canada.

But to give credit where it is due, he, unlike many here, is not whine-ing and whingeing about anything and everything and blaming anybody and everybody else for the current misfortunes and wanting someone else to "fix it" but is taking on a calculated risk and putting his money where his mouth is so that he and a lot of others stand to benefit substantially if his venture is successful.

Which, I hope for everybody's sake, that it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X