Skinner No. 43 chuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinner No. 43 chuck?

A friend showed me a Skinner "The Standard No. 43 Improved" chuck last night. I assumed that it would be used to drive a tap but wanted some more expert input. Here a couple of not very good pictures:

This is supposed to be a shot of the jaws. There are two opposing jaws that have matching angles on both jaws like a tap wrench. But the jaws angles aren't quite square.

This is a side view that shows the adjusting screw that brings the jaws in and out.

So what is it for exactly? Did I guess correctly?

-brian
    -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

It is a drill chuck. They were relatively common, but the three jaw Jacobs style replaced them as they provide better gripping power and accuracy.
    Jim H.

Comment

Thanks Jim, do you suppose that it would work to hold taps? I can see why it wouldn't hold a drill very well. I had never seen a chuck like that before but I have seen some tap holders that were similar but had square jaws to fit the square on the tap.

-brian
      -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

Comment

Take a look at the jaws, there were twist drills available with tapered square shanks like wood bits. Perhaps it was designed for them.

I see no reason it would not work with a tap if that is what you wanted to do with it.
        Jim H.

Comment

Working...
        X