Wall-E Computer Case Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall-E Computer Case Mod

Lot's of metalworking pictures and a very nice result.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=2487

-Mike

WAAAY too much work. I had an idea to make a caseless computer but the RFI issue is a show stopper. I would like to make one in the form of a large mobile hanging from the ceiling. The monitor would be on one arm and the keyboard on another hanging from a hook where you would pick it off to use. When you did the monitor would unbalance and come down to working level. Ditto mouse. By using illuminated parts it would look pretty cool.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That is a work of art! I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.

Did you guys notice the trick he used to turn that scrap plastic (acrylic I suppose) into a disc? It looked like he sandwhiched it between two pieces of aluminum, one in the chuck and one on the live center to drive it. I've done that with some thin copper sheet before, but I thought that was a pretty neat trick. (The picture is just a little over halfway down the page)

Comment

Beautiful work. Damn, that's a lot of friggin' chain drilling!
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

"Too much work"? I take it you've never seen Dark Blade, then?

I have to say, though, that Wall-E case is cool too. If it's just going to get painted, I'd have probably used more plastic and acrylic than aluminum, but either way, the guy did some nice work.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel
            "Too much work"? I take it you've never seen Dark Blade, then? .
            Holy Cow!!! I'm not fond of the Neon Boris Vallejo styling, but dang, that's an impressive build! Making the liquid cooling reservoir part of the design (in another PC case turned on it's side) is pretty clever.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I don't have much reason to make a custom case. However, I do have an old Commodore case lying around that has been gutted, the one with the larger 80 column screen and full size keyboard. I was considering using it to house a modern PC and run a Commodore emulator on it. That way I could use it to run some of my old software.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

A lot of work for something that becomes obsolete after 6 months. Well yeh just swap in a new mb...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  WAAAY too much work.
                  That's probably the same thing that other people say about the guys who build small i.c. engines, live steam locomotives, or a cnc mill or lathe among other things. Very nice work none the less.
                  Jonathan P.

Comment

Now if only he would add a few motors....

Comment

Very impressive.

And as an aside, I thought that even though it is a complicated work, the way the build photos were sequenced made the process very easy to follow.

ie make a few pieces, make them up into a sub-assembly, take a photo of it, go onto the next stage.

Comment

Working...
                      X