Older Lathe Wiring Help???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Lathe Wiring Help???

I recently got an older sheldon 11" lathe with a reversing switch and a craftsman 3/4 hp 1750 rpm motor. I need to wire it together and am at a loss and over my head. Any help is appreciated. Its being wired to a single phase 230 set up. Motor diagram shows 3 wires to come out of terminal 3 and 1 wire coming out of terminal 4 in this scenario. There is 2 old wires coming out of the backside of the terminal board as well. So I have the ground wire from the plug grounded and the 2 live wires I am unsure where to wire them too? The motor type is CIEOK6 and Model is 115 7294.

The motor has 4 terminals
    Last edited by Oklahoma; 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM.

Welcome to the zoo.
    I can't help with Your question but I'm sure somebody will be able to point You in the right direction.

Steve

Comment

Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have found many diagrams form different motors but they all differ some and my electrical knowledge is a little lacking. I just want to start playing on the lathe.

Comment

I think that your lathe might have been set up for 3- phase power-
        the Sheldon 13" that I have has a similar switch, and it
        reverses two of the legs to reverse the motor.
        Is it a rotary switch with a handle on top?

The quick way to check the switch is to measure what it's connecting
        in each position with a light or ohmmeter--
        if it crosses d to b and e to a in one position, for example, and
        passes d to a and e to b in the other, then it's a 3- phase reversing switch.

Sorry, but I don't know much about your motor, and whether it's reversible...

t
        rusting in Seattle

Comment

The manual shows this one as the stock switch and says single phase. I'll try and post photos tomorrow I don't have the cords tonight to upload the pics.

Comment

The basic principle with a reversing switch on single phase is that the start winding gets reversed by the switch, the run winding does not.

The motor probably identifies the wires by color, as with "to reverse rotation, interchange the red and yellow wires" or something similar.

A single phase reversing switch would be basically a 3 pole double throw switch, wired to connect the start winding either way depending on how the lever was moved, with the third pole turning power off and on.

Typical single and dual voltage motor "innards" are wired per these diagrams:

Last edited by J Tiers; 04-11-2009, 08:41 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Here is pics of the switch and the motor plate. The new wires you see on the switch I put on there so color codes do not match any diagram here.

And then I have the 2 power lines coming from the power cord to connect as well and the ground.
              Last edited by Oklahoma; 04-11-2009, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Ok.....

Notice that the wires connect to DIFFERENT posts for 115 and 230..... 115 uses post 2, but 230 uses post 3. That change presumably puts the two coils in series, and puts teh yellow start winding wires across only one of the two coils, which is correct.

The motor does say to interchange the yellow leads to reverse. So they are the start winding. That reversal is one thing that the drum switch needs to do.

The other thing is to turn the power off and on

the usual schemes are identified on this page:

http://www.lathe.com/wiring_diagrams.htm

Do you have any wiring diagram for the drum switch? There are a couple types, with different wiring

It isn't difficult to figure out, if you know what to look for, and have it in your hand, without the diagram. but I am not sure we could communicate quite as well as required for you to do the measuring and me the interpreting.

It does look somewhat different from others, but the diagram (if available) may make it quite clear.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

What colours are the two extra wires from the motor ? Do they show signs of ever having been connected ? Make sure they are insulated...

Here's a link to a pdf of wiring diagrams for Craftsman reversing switch/motors. It doesn't cover the motor in question, but shows many different variations.

www.owwm.com/pubs/222/1560.pdf

First check the motor runs with 230v applied across terminals 1 and 4.
                  If it runs ok then we can use the first diagram in the pdf as a model.

Redraw or relabel the diagram with the colours you have used - this will make things a whole lot easier...

Remove the yellow wires from the terminal block and treat them as the yellow and blue wires in the diagram - i.e. splice them as shown.

(Notes: don't confuse the black and red in the diagram with the black and red in the motor, and check the jumper is present.)

If rotation is back to front then just reverse the two yellows as indicated.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Comment

The two additional wires on the motor are probably for a thermal overload. It is mentioned on the nameplate, but might not be connected. They are usually internally connected but it might have been removed. They may have to be tied together if the motor does not run.
                    Jim H.

Comment

I was guessing the thermal trip would be wired from the backs of terms 1 & 2. (Maybe the two extra wires are connected there ?)

Let's say there are two 115v run coils (A & B) and a 115v starter coil.

So for 230 V -
                      power in to term 1
                      from back of term 1 through trip to back of term 2
                      from back of term 2 to start of coil A
                      from end of coil A (red flyer) to term 3 and start of coil B (black flyer),
                      from end of coil B to back of term 4,
                      term 4 return to power.
                      So - A & B in series and starter coil on yellow flyers across coil B.

For 115v all three coils start on term 2, and end on term 4

Can't be certain but seems likely...
                      Last edited by Barrington; 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X