OT Good luck with Craigslist.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Good luck with Craigslist.

Sort of Off-topic but having to do with Craigslist and a Mill-Drill......

As a recovering eBay user, I've decided to start using Craigslist in my local area. This is partly due to the costs of eBay Final Value Fees, PayPal fees and the bother and nuisance of shipping.

Thanks to you folks and a helpful friend who is a professional machinist, I've decided to locate and purchase a used American milling machine, probably a Bridgeport or equivalent.

My H.F. Mill Drill was OK in general but I am psychologically driven to make ever-deeper cuts in large chunks of metal. Sort of a primal thing. LOL.

So, I decided last week that the H.F. Mill Drill had to find a new owner. Not wanting to blow money on eBay's fees and not having the slightest idea how to ship a machine that weighs in at 600 pounds with the base as I would have had to do with eBay, I put in an ad with Craigslist at a fair price, $500, and sat back to wait. The following day, I got 6 responses. Five of them were for folks who wanted to trade me sofas, old cars, tires and wheels, a three-wheeled ATV and a small, decomissioned S.B. benchtop lathe.

Fortunately, there was one nice young fellow who is starting a small machine shop and wanted the machine for small jobs. He came over this morning with a friend and a truck and we loaded it with my chain hoist. Both of us were happy as clams when the deal was concluded.

I saved approximately 18%, got an immediate local sale and avoided having to deal with the issue of PayPal and an impossible (for me) shipping job. Craigslist was free......

Now I'm free to look harder for a Bridgy. My friend has offered to help me pick one up with his flatbed truck so I think I'll be able to pull it off. I'll probably need a 3 phase convertor but that should be a lot of fun. He is in tune with all of the sales material that the sellers in the San Francisco Bay area send out and he can check the machine out for me when we find one. He owns two of them himself, as well as a Monarch 10EE, Monarch 20 X ? and two CNC units: a milling center and a Lathe.

So, here's to Craigslst. I was so happy, I listed another item this morning.

Thanks for listening.

I got a pile of brazed carbide lathe bits, center-drills and most of my mics, high-gauges, pins and other misc measuring tools off of Craigslist.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with Craigslist. Of course, I'm not buying the aforementioned sofas and old TVs and whatnot- I've been pretty much just buying (or at least looking for) machine tools, so that by itself tends to filter out most of the flakes.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

a friend sent me this a couple weeks ago. for those of you that Don't know,

http://www.searchtempest.com/ what a time saver it is. . . . .

Comment

I found my MILLRITE on Craigslist.
          The add was for an ENCO mill, so I called the fella and he said, "Sorry, I've already sold it."
          "But I have another, small mill you might like."
          YES. YES, I do like !!!
          I'm glad I took the time to go check out the "Other Mill".

Comment

I've noticed a few ads on CL that seem to be writen by ex-ebayers, many even include: 'you're bidding on"
            Since the rates increased on Ebay, there have been quite a few more ads showing up each day.

That searchtempest is pretty nice to use, but I dislike a few things about it, not enough to not use it though.

I often use it when I have to make a run somewhere out of state, check out the map and see what areas are on my way, or close enough to be worthwhile and check the the CL listings for my route using searchtempest (it was craigs helper till a short while ago) Works pretty nicely.

Ken.

Comment

Unfortunately Craigslist is not nearly as popular around here as in other areas of the country. I periodically browse listings across the country and could often fully re-equip my shop in an afternoon from a single local's listings. Not so much locally, although it does seem to be picking up some.

I love the scammers with 2-3 year old pickups for $4000, got news for you bud, there are no palm trees in Iowa...........

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
                I got a pile of brazed carbide lathe bits, center-drills and most of my mics, high-gauges, pins and other misc measuring tools off of Craigslist.
                ...and I've gotten an apartment, a couple roommates, and a few dates off CL here in Boston

Comment

Craigslist search

I have had good luck on Craigslist for a number of different things.

Here is one way I search the whole ot the USA.

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm is my preferred site for seardhes. No google trash!

Then, I enter something like the following:

"millrite" site:craigslist.org in the search box.

Found 18 hits!

Hope this is of some help.

David

Comment

I found my mill, lathe, and bandsaw on CL. I also found a used kayak in the past week, as well as a clarinet for my daughter.

Comment

That's a nice search engine for Craigslist. I saved it. I guess you could locate things across the country on CL but the main thing I like about it is the local aspect, even more than the fact that it's free.

Comment

Once in a while a guy in Livermore will post refurb-Bridgeports. His price seems high, but his work is top notch. He does post on Craig's, infrequently. A visit to his shop is well worth the time. PM me if you would like his number. As always, I have no connection to him, other than seeing his workmanship.

Dave J.

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
                          Once in a while a guy in Livermore will post refurb-Bridgeports. His price seems high, but his work is top notch. He does post on Craig's, infrequently. A visit to his shop is well worth the time. PM me if you would like his number. As always, I have no connection to him, other than seeing his workmanship.

Dave J.

Thanks. PM sent.

Comment

After trying Craig's Helper (SearchTempest) and others, I like this search for Craig's List:

http://www.crazedlist.org/
                            Cheers,
                            Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X